Opinions on V1U to PMW-EX1 (for sports) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2007, 03:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Does the EX1 have a thread on the front of it? If so what size is it?

I beleive it does so why couldn't I use a Schneider 2x extender on the front of it?
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The EX1's filter thread size is 77 mm, so use that number when you're looking for filters, adapters, etc.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:03 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Matt, for now, my adapter use on the long end does not exceed a 200mm prime T3.1 (f2.8) lens. Tranquility Base...
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Brendan, as a comparison, check out the 2x Tele-Converter Schneider makes for, say, an HVX. It has a bayonet mount for Pana. Looking at the chunk of glass, I would be concerned about the amount of weight and potential damage that may occur if I stripped the 77mm thread on an EX1. It is 1.3kg/47oz. A thread mount and support connecting to rails would suit me, but not everyone has/wants rails, so I think Schneider is designing for that aspect.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm...=1074&IID=5905

Having a thread mounted Tele would certainly provide the prospect of longevity, if you were to change camera brand, etc. I similarly was trying to setup a rig for surfing footage, using an adapter and long lenses. Perhaps Schneider will also release a 2x Tele, however, even then, I am sure you are hoping for more, as I would. I live on the Gold Coast, we have 'The Superbank', Snapper Rocks.

Last edited by Christopher Barry; December 31st, 2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Good point Chris. The weight of the Schneider 2x is an issue and rails is probably the way to go.

I am totally into no tape - i use the Sony HDR-60 with my V1U and it's great. I find shooting in windy, sandy conditions terrible with tapes. But having the HDR-60 as well as the cam means there is more out there in the wind, combine that with a long lens and its hard not to get camera shake even with a solid head & tripod. So when I saw the EX1 with compact form factor and its SxS cards I started to get interested. So i don't really want to use rails...

I currently own a 16x9 inc 1.5x extender and I find its optical quality to be good. It 'only' weighs 595g so I feel fairly confident with it on a thread mount.

I wonder if Schneider will make 2x for the EX1 - they have a listed a 1.6x for march release - with a bayonet fixing but as yet no 2x.

I think I am going to get a EX1 and see how I get on with the shorter telephoto (compared to the V1U). As previously mentioned fast moving surfers, combined with the moving water around them really tests the HDV standard and I think I will get better results from XDCam.
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM   #21
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post

I beleive Schiender make a nice 2x screw on extender. The EX1 has a 77mm thread on the frount of it, doesn't it??
Brendan,

We do not currently manufacture a 2x with a 77mm screw mount. We avoid using screw mount particularly due to weight issues and the corresponding durability of the manufacturer's filter threads. All the camera manufacturers never intended for a 3 pound chunk of glass to be hanging off of thier filter threads. A screw mount will wear unnecessarily on the threads of your camera. the bayonet system we use is exclusive and the best way to attach heavier accessory optics.

We might be producing a 2x for the EX1 but that is pending design and quality testing on the existing lens. We do not produce a 2x for the Canon XH-A1 due to the extreme telephoto existing on the camera. When magnifying the image on the camera, we discovered too much camera shake and image quality factors to make it usable.

I will keep you all posted if we do any 2x for the EX1. We do have our exceptional 1.6x available for the EX1 in March.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Brendan,

We do not currently manufacture a 2x with a 77mm screw mount. We avoid using screw mount particularly due to weight issues and the corresponding durability of the manufacturer's filter threads. All the camera manufacturers never intended for a 3 pound chunk of glass to be hanging off of thier filter threads. A screw mount will wear unnecessarily on the threads of your camera. the bayonet system we use is exclusive and the best way to attach heavier accessory optics.

We might be producing a 2x for the EX1 but that is pending design and quality testing on the existing lens. We do not produce a 2x for the Canon XH-A1 due to the extreme telephoto existing on the camera. When magnifying the image on the camera, we discovered too much camera shake and image quality factors to make it usable.

I will keep you all posted if we do any 2x for the EX1. We do have our exceptional 1.6x available for the EX1 in March.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Thanks alot of the info.
I had one of your 1.6 extenders for my FX1 and it was really good.
However, at the time, I could not get a lens hood for that lens.
I beleive that you now make one - part# 0VS-TCSS-00 do you have any details on it? Like how long it is, what type of fitting (is it screw mounted) and what it's made of? I pretty much always use a polarising filter and like to mount the lens hood onto the filter and then i can just turn the hood to turn the filter...
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM   #23
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
Thanks alot of the info.
I had one of your 1.6 extenders for my FX1 and it was really good.
However, at the time, I could not get a lens hood for that lens.
I beleive that you now make one - part# 0VS-TCSS-00 do you have any details on it? Like how long it is, what type of fitting (is it screw mounted) and what it's made of? I pretty much always use a polarising filter and like to mount the lens hood onto the filter and then i can just turn the hood to turn the filter...
The 0VS-TCSS-00 Sunshade comes is a 105mm clamp-on shade that clamps to the outside diameter of most of our teleconverters. All my engineers are on holiday so I unoffically measured it to be 66mm (2.6") tall and 120mm (4.75") in diameter at the top of the shade (that's the side that doesn't clamp on to the lens). Of course, it is 105mm at the bottom of the shade.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1391&IID=6252

If you want to shade it and hold a filter order this one:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1391&IID=1341

This one requires a 4x4 filter tray and is not as tall as the other because it is meant to work on both the tele and the wide angle attachments.

You can order these parts from our dealers who sponsor this site.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Ryan sent you a message - i am not sure how it works - i hope you received it.

thanks.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds