Picture Profile Recipes - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #451
Major Player

hey Danny,
yeah, i'm unsure of the Gamma Level: is it -40 or 0?
Black: -12, -8, -4, -3

amongst others...
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #452
Major Player

Philip Bloom or Bill Ravens' PP?

and more thing. how in the hell did Phil or Bill adjust the KNEE if the GAMMA was set to CINE1??? are they magicians or merlins????
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM   #453
Regular Crew

The knee and black/gamma settings - those are all the "little differences" that drove me mad. I think Bill explains the black settings in the thread on Phil's site - just scroll down and he makes comments. I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM   #454
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Dale View Post
The knee and black/gamma settings - those are all the "little differences" that drove me mad. I think Bill explains the black settings in the thread on Phil's site - just scroll down and he makes comments. I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off

that's funny how different people read different things. Here's the 1st comment Bill had on Phil's site in the link you sent me. he's got BLACK at -3. no mention of GAMMA level at 0. i still think supposed to be -40.

A few words on the PP settings I have called TC2 and TC3.
TC2 gives rich saturated realistic colors, perhaps a bit towards the red/yellow.
TC3(the second set Phil posted) uses the CINEMA preset and a Color Correction factor. TC3 is less saturated, more balanced towards blue/green than TC2.

The Black settings have evolved from my original recommendation. A setting of -12 gives full dynamic range to the capture, however, in order to maximize dynamic range, there is no headroom, or footroom if you prefer. IOW, controlled lighting is required or you’ll crush the shadows very easily. I have since backed off the Black setting to -3 for more headroom/footroom in less controlled lighting situations. It would seem even “0″ is more forgiving in run and gun situations.

I hope this helps those with questions.
best,
Bill
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #455
Regular Crew

Quote:
I ended up with black -8, level 0, cine3, detail off
Just so you know, those settings are what I chose after playing around with them, just looking at them on my Dell 2405. I don't have a true high-quality monitor or scopes, that's why I was following Bill's settings cause he set up the PP's with real monitors/scopes. Maybe try and contact him, or start a thread asking about his PP's?
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #456
Inner Circle

Quote:
did the same thing - read all the posts and couldn't find anything newer than what was on Philip's site. That's why I sent Bill an email asking about the latest tweaks/settings, but no reply.

Maybe if he gets more requests, he'll post something.
Unfortunately it seems if you want profile settings you either have to DIY or pay. I've got some settings from Paolo Ciccone I'll try and post up soon. His recipes for the JVC were legendary.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #457

Hey guys...

I've read your posts with some curiosity and provide the following response:
I posted my profiles with good intentions, wanting to share and help fellow DVINFO.Net'ers. What I caused was a firestorm of criticism for a small few who took issue with my settings. I also shared one profile with Phil Bloom, asking that he keep it to himself, which he did not. Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.

I thank you for your interest, and hope you can understand the dilemma.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #458
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Hey guys...

I posted my profiles with good intentions, wanting to share and help fellow DVINFO.Net'ers. What I caused was a firestorm of criticism for a small few who took issue with my settings. I also shared one profile with Phil Bloom, asking that he keep it to himself, which he did not. Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.

I won't complain! Willing to email them? If so, brian90402 AT gmail.
EX3 settings right?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #459
Major Player

I too won't complain. you can IM me if you'd like. i'll keep them under lock and key. thanks for your contributions to this site. i appreciate it.

-Mike
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #460
Trustee

Bill: This is ridiculous that people are complaining about your PP's (I hadn't heard about that). You need to name names so we can ban them from this site. Hehehehe

I just can't understand how worked up some people can get over the most trivial stuff. You've done a great service to this site by the amount of work you've put into your PP's. Don't let some junior high idiots spoil your enthusiasm. What can we do as a group to change your mind?
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #461
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Bill: This is ridiculous that people are complaining about your PP's (I hadn't heard about that). You need to name names so we can ban them from this site. Hehehehe

I just can't understand how worked up some people can get over the most trivial stuff. You've done a great service to this site by the amount of work you've put into your PP's. Don't let some junior high idiots spoil your enthusiasm. What can we do as a group to change your mind?

I second that...
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #462
Trustee

I've read most of the posts about PP and I was wondering if these setting can be used for an EX3, I think I've seen posts saying no, not to use them and some are saying yes you can.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #463
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hey guys...

Hey Bill,

I understand your frustration about publicly posting your PPs. If you are cool with direct messaging them I would love to check them out and see the results. I am experiementing with a few a of the widespread public ones out there and can't get the reuslts I'm looking for. Always to looking to test out new ones!
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #464
Inner Circle

Quote:
Unfortunately, because of these few, I no longer post settings, nor make my settings available.
Oh no. Don't let a few geeks on the Internet ruin your mood. We are all grateful for your sharing your efforts, and your work lives in a lot of EX1. Thank you for helping me to improve my EX1 picture quality.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #465

thanx guys....I'm a little floored at the no. of people who have found something worthwhile in what I posted. Well, in any fora where there are a lot of viewers, it's a gaussian distribution of who's reading. Some people can use it, some people just want to tear it down. Just simple statistics. Guess I've learned that I don't like being that visible. Rather be a fly on the wall. If I come up with anything worth sharing, I'll let those who appreciate it, know. Now, if only I had a detector that could tell me....

well, I'm beginning to see that the "look" of the capture isn't as important as what I can morph it into in post. In other words, profiles aren't as significant as capturing the most dynamic range that allows me to make adjustments in post without introducing a lot of grain and color channel distortion. Alistair has posted some good info. Doesn't look so pretty on the EVF, but, it allows a lot of flexibility in post.

The weakness of digital video is the available dynamic range. Even Red cams, according to what I've been reading, don't have the dynamic rancge of film. So, the message is, go for max dynamic range, use proper lighting to keep from intoducing grain in the shadows.

Cineform is beta-ing a metadata method of adjusting exposure, contrast, color balance with their DI. This method holds a great deal of promise for CCing data that is superior to any in camera processing that I've seen. IOW, capture RAW, adjust in post. I think that's where technology is headed.
Thanx again..
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds