XDCAM EX noise level? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Trustee

XDCAM EX noise level?

repeat post.. To much coffee.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; September 19th, 2007 at 09:46 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

XDCAM EX noise level?

The F330 is rated as having a signal/noise ratio of 54db, while the PDW-510/530 are both rated at 63db. From the EX specs, I believe it is 54db, just like the F330.

I have not personally used the 330, but I have read several responses regarding noise F330 noise levels. Many were wishing it faired better.

The EX is rated at (54db) f10 at 2000 lux and the F330 is rated at (54db) f9 at 2000 lux.
Numbers aside, will the noise levels appears less on the EX. I'm sure these sensitivity numbers do not tell us the whole story. I guess we'll know soon.
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

That's part of the CMOS advantage... greater sensitivity leading to lower noise. Many of the noise complaints that come up are from folks who have been shooting in SD where for the same sized sensor, you get much more sensitivity because individual pixels are larger and can soak up more light.

It's part of the learning curve of switching to HD cameras. In general, they don't perform as well as their SD counterparts.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Gregs comments are quite correct. The F330/350 is more noisy than the 510, but then the 750 HDCAM is also noisier than the 510. That's the nature of HD. When I did the concert shoot with my F350 and 2x EX1's all at 0db it was very hard to tell which was which. If anything I think the EX1 is a little less noisy than the F350. However the noise on the F350 has a very fine structure and as a result I find it less objectionable than the noise you get on most SD cameras which can be a bit "blocky". I did a couple of shots at +18db on the EX1 and while there was a fair bit of noise it wasn't so bad as to make the shots un-useable.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Alister,
Thanks for the info.

Currently, I'm using a JVC HD-100. We all know the stock lens has its CA issues.

How do you rate the HD-100 video noise level using no gain in comparison to the XDCAM EX with no gain?

I do not plan on using gain. I guess that's easy to say, but sometimes hard not to do.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Greg.

At least the pixel noise is smaller with HD. It looks a bit like grain.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds