TRV900 -- various questions - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:01 PM   #91
Major Player

I have a trv 900 for more than 6 years, and it works fine with the ac adaptor. you probably have to take the camera to sony repairs department
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #92
Regular Crew

It was your phrase, "my PC was not able to recognize the videocam" that got my attention...because there are occasions when that happens to me.

Not at all sure related to your situation...but share experience...in case

My system is often glitchy...

So with my system...I usually have to be sure to turn on the camera system first AND turn on all settings so it's ready to export... BEFORE I turn on the computer editing program (PREMIERE) to prepare for capture.

When I try it the other way around...it sometimes works...sometimes doesn't. (that is...the PC sometimes recognizes the videocam...though usually doesn't.)

Also...a common fix for many of my capture problems is to turn everything off (including "restarting" computer) and start all over again (CAMERA ON FIRST (set to export)...PREMIERIE CAPTURE window ON SECOND).

I realize it's probably kind of basic...(though looking through my Premiere reference book...haven't yet found reference to it...believe it's there some where...or might have found info on a forum.)

And it may not apply to your situation...since you've found there is a difference between AC versus battery. But also thinking maybe you took different steps with one versus the other that was not based on type of power.

So in case it helps ...wanted to share experience.

Last edited by Sandra Warshaw; August 3rd, 2005 at 02:51 PM.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM   #93
Regular Crew

I don't have the said Sony gear (forgive me for posting), but I have run into AC power trouble. Once while capturing from a camera I turned on an appliance in an adjacent room, causing a dropped frame. This sounds like what Steve was talking about.

I'm not sure that hum would be an issue here since the Firewire capture is a digital transfer. Noise on the line can still cause problems, but it will manifest itself as a dropout or other digital artifact and not a hum (as with an analog transfer).

Sandra, my system (Premiere and Canon cam) is very picky about startup and shutdown. Turning the camera on or especially off while Premiere is running will cause a crash the next time it is turned on. I just make sure that the camera is on before Premiere starts and that I close the software before I turn it off.

To echo, I'd suggest trying a UPS or just a different outlet (or a different building entirely) to see if it is the incoming line voltage.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeremy for the tip "I close the software before I turn it [camera] off." Probably shoulda known that...but didn't.

I edited my entry above...to hopefully be a little clearer. As noted above...I was considering the times my PC would not recognize the camera...and shared experience...in case it applies. You just never know.

Still think it's GREAT the way people jump in to help with problems/challenges!
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #95
Tourist

Thanks for the helps...

You guys are really fantastic.. I was away for few days and I had so much responses from you guys... thanks..

To update my situation. As I mentioned I was using the PCMCIA firewire card which was giving me the odd problem when using AC. After much testing, I decided to use another notebook PC with the built-in firewire port to give it a final test and it WORKS!

However, I actually bought a new firewire cable (4pin-4pin) and used it in the test (caused the built-in port is 4pin)... so can't really conclude it was the PCMCIA firewire card issue!

FYI, the cable I used with PCMCIA firewire card was a 6pin-4pin type.

Just want to close the case and my millions thanks to all you guys. :-)
Jack Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #96
New Boot

Dirt BEHIND Lens of a TRV900

Hello,

Got an old TRV900 which is pretty useless with the dirt behind the lens.

The dirt accumulated as an effect of repeatedly water-condensations in the tropics, especially when leaving/using airconroom cooled cam-body outside in the humid air.

I am able to still use it, but only by increasing shutter speed, or simply by putting it in the 'sport preset' program.

Do you guy's have any idea how to get rid of this problem. Is there an easy way to do it myself, or do I have to send it Sony. I am afraid, it won't be worth a high repair cost.

Thanks in advance

Reinhold
Reinhold Ellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM   #97
Tourist

Trv900

The lens unit in the trv900 are very difficult to clean but it can be done.Takes about 1 1/2 hours to take apart and 1 hour to put back together.You have to find a shop that can do this and has done alot of lens diassembly.Just make sure you take it to a shop that has done this kind of work.As long as the glass hasn't been pitted it should come out ok.Most will just tell you to replace whole lens unit but that's not economical.If you figure $50 to $100 an hour. You do the math
Tim
Tim Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:10 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Seems an oddity this. Dirt behind the lens? you mean behind the front element, or can you see it deep within the lens when you look down with the aid of a peoweful Maglight?

And I fail to see how raising the shutter speed helps alleviate the problem. Unless the higher shutter speed means forcing maximum aperture, where the lens nasties are thrown more out of focus.

Sounds like the end of the line to me. Buying another second hand 900 may well be a better and cheaper option.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:57 AM   #99
New Boot

TRV900 Were to Buy

Hello All

I am looking for a TRV900 to go with my VX2000. Does anyone know a good place to look for one other than ebay. Also if anyone is lookig to get ride of one let me know.

Thanks
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #100
Inner Circle

Look in the Private Classified section for the PD100a.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM   #101
New Boot

I do not have acces to that part of the forum yet. Is their one available. I would like to know more about it if their is. I am very interested in having a back-up to my vx2000.

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM   #102
Inner Circle

I have sent you a private email.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM   #103
New Boot

thanks

I just cant trust ebay some times and would like to buy equipment from people who really take care of their stuff

Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM   #104
Regular Crew

I sent you a PM. If you did not get it here is a link to my PD100a in the classifieds.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73748

dave
Dave Pecunies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #105
New Boot

TRV900 + Letus 35mm Adapter Stills!

Go to my Flickr page to see some stills from an outdoor sequence I shot for a music video. I used my TRV900 w/ Letus 35 adapter. Canon 50mm lens and 72-105mm zoom. I'm editing now. Let me know what ya think!

http://www.flickr.com/gp/65712140@N00/S23LOZ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion