Low audio level on XLR with PDX10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:35 PM   #16
Wrangler

Well a large amount of the work I've done on the PDX-10 has been without any audio at all. However I've now recorded about 5 of our opera performances. For this I put a line level feed from the sound board into channel A with auto levels and use the on-camera mike in channel B with a manual level.

Both channels sounded good. In fact, I was really impressed with how good the on-camera mike sounded. I did not have any problems whatsoever with the auto setting on the line-level input. There was no clipping and no excessive compression. And of course opera has a huge dynamic range between soft orchestral moments and loud choruses. But everything came through very nicely.

So I really have no explanation as to why your experience is so different than mine Raul. Perhaps, as David says, you had the low cut or ATT accidently switched on?

Also, what volume level did you set on your headphones, and what headphones did you use? I am using Sony MDR-V600's and have found the monitoring sound to be very faithful. Sounds pretty much the same when I monitor the video through an amp when editing.

I do find the recorded levels a little low, and regularly boost them by between 3 and 6 dB in my finished projects however. But the audio is very clean and (to my ears) has the full range of frequencies. Maybe you need to do a little more experimentation?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #17
New Boot

I have an audio engineering background and perhaps the reason why the levels seem somewhat low to some people is that the PDX10 XLR inputs use professional standard levels, which is 'hotter' than consumer levels. I have run some tests with tones and the PDX10 is very happy with professional line level signals from for example a mixer. If you use consumer equipment you may have a hard time getting enough signal to the camera.

The standard way of setting a level is to have your peaks at -12 dB, this way you have 12 dB head room. If your peaks are lower than that you may get some hiss, if they are higher than that you get dangerously close to clipping. Finally I must say I am very pleased with the sound quality of my PDX10s.

Guustaaf
Guustaaf Damave is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion