Rx10 ii lens wobble while zoom and does noise - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old September 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Rx10 ii lens wobble while zoom and does noise

Don't be that sure about it, this reminds me a bit about the sony nex-ea50 stocklens, many complained it did twitch at the start of a zoom, mine did, but there where others that did not experience that problem, if I recall right someone who send it in got the lens back saying the play on the lens was within specifications, I have a feeling it will be the same here though I hope for you it won't.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #17
Trustee

Yeah, I'm jumping to conclusions. When I returned my camera they said this was normal behaviour…. I was thinking really?

I have lived with the issue an this does'nt effect what I do.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #18
Inner Circle

It might be the design of the camera that doesn't allow Sony to produce the lens to the same specifications of a regular videocamera, I"m sure if this kind of behavior would occur on Sony's x70 you would get a replacement camera without question, now the rx10 lens, just like the stocklens on the Sony is not supposed to function in that way and you either are lucky to get a good functioning one or you are not. The fact is that Sony seems to be able to produce good functioning lenses as some report they don't have any zoom wobble so not sure we should accept that kind of nonsense from them that this is "normal behaviour"...
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #19
Trustee

Yes, I agree Noa.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Looking at it another way I would say the smooth zoom on Steve's RX10 II, in Sony's service own words, is "abnormal". Because every RX10 I've tried from the Mk1 to Mk2 at a few different dealers, every one of them had wobble zoom mechanism. This is one of the reasons I have given the cameras a pass. All the consumer class real camcorders from Sony I own from the AX100 down to CX350E, interlaced-only palm-sized cam have a perfectly smooth zoom with no wobble whatsoever.

Technically speaking, it is probably very difficult to make a lens with extending zooming mechanism since the weight shifts too far away from the camera's housing support to provide enough rigidity to prevent the lens barrel from sagging from its own weight or twitching to either side.

I guess how tolerant you have for wobbling zoom depends very much on your style of shooting and the kind of video you use the camera for.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #21
Regular Crew

No lens wobble on mine either
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #22
Inner Circle

If you zoom out completely and take the outer end of the lens and move it, is it rock solid or can you move it around?
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I retract my earlier statement, there is some lens wobble when fully out
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #24
Inner Circle

As far as I know Sony didn't make any changes to the lens outside the fact that it can zoom in and out faster during record, maybe that is why they limited the zoomspeed on the original version because the lens design is not intended for fast zooms? I guess for reframing purposes it's not a big deal but if you want a guarantee for a smooth zoom you are better of with a videocamera.
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you zoom out completely and take the outer end of the lens and move it, is it rock solid or can you move it around?
OK yep here to but what a cam....
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I have a love hate relation with my rx10 and I"m sure the rx10 II won't change that feeling that much.
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #27
Trustee

Beginning to love it Noa but it wont take the place of my trusty canon 70 d still the best...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Can I ask what technique people are using to focus on the RX10 and RX10 II.

If I am correct you cannot set a function button to AF when pressed, hence I have set a button to switch AF and MF on and off but you then rely on the Camera to AF which can tend to hunt

You can also set a button the hold manual focus when pressed, but you have to keep it pressed which is kind of annoying

My ideal would be like my G7 which you can set a button to AF and leave the camera in manual and just hit the focus button when refocus is required.
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
the 24-240 will give better low light with the ff sensor and the bokeh will be better anyway...
The 24-240 will not give better low light. The A7s will give better low light performance with the FF sensor but it needs it When the 24-240mm lens aperture range is f/3.5-6.3
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Alrighty, got a MkII "In hand", and as a long time Sony user, I'll take a minute to address the "lens wobble and noise"... an absolutely ridiculous reason to bag on the camera... but anyway.

First, there were some complaints (Noa <wink>) that the limited zoom speed on the original RX10 when in record mode (a "standard feature" of all the cybershots I tested, probably to avoid the noise of the zoom motors when zooming quickly) was a problem... Arguably in live/event shooting, it was painfully slow, but of course achieved the objective of a slow, quiet, steady (more professional looking?) zoom.

With the MkII There's a new "fast" setting for zoom speed in the menus, no doubt at least in part to the complaints. You can set it or not, and more importantly invoke it or not when in USE.

What this means is if you "feather" the zoom lever (the lens rings seems to default to "slow", the lever has a two speed switch at least), you can still zoom slowly, but if you smash it, it'll now do a typical Sony style "crash zoom" at a higher rate of speed (almost instantaneous in the clear zoom range... limited by physics in the optical range, but now as fast as the "not recording" zoom speed). Yes, the zoom motors overcoming the mass and inertia of the big honking chunk o' glass do make a bit more noise... that's how motors WORK.

SO, if you NEED "crash zoom" for fast reframing, it's there now, you don't HAVE to use it, as well as being able to disable it if the "noise" bothers you and you have sausage fingers...

Second, yes, due to the size and physics of the lens, when the piezo motors kick in, there's a bit of a jolt, it's noticeable, but really if one is "crash zooming", you're going to be doing a quick cutaway, right? And really the wobble isn't THAT bad if the content is otherwise OK, you COULD use the shot in a pinch... Just say you were inspired by the Bourne movies or sumthin'...

How often does one need to crash zoom, and when doing so, a little wobble is likely the least of one's worries...

I'll start a new post with other initial thoughts, but wanted to hit this thread first, as it suggests a problem where there is a new (and requested... and useful!) "feature" making the RX10II more like traditional video cameras, at least as far as "zooming" is concerned.

Last edited by Dave Blackhurst; September 19th, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders