NanoFlash and slowmo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old August 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: NanoFlash and slowmo

Yes I did test it and sadly the output is interlaced when the camera is set to output 25/30p.

It would be interesting to take that interlace signal and see what happens when you slow it down by 50% in a progressive project in different NLE's. If they split out the two fields and show them one after the other then although there will be a vertical resolution drop it shouldn't look that bad as alternate frames will have slightly different vertical picture information. So the perceived resolution drop won't be half it will probably appear to be around a 1/3rd loss.
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Exactly the same result as I found Alister. Sad indeed.

It would be nice if Sony could do a firmware update that allowed for a 30p write to the memory card. I would be willing to wait twice as long for those times if I needed what an external recorder offered.
Old August 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Major Player

And be aware that this is the case whenever you have the camera in Quick & Slomo mode, regardless if you are actually recording in slomo or not. So if you record real time on your nanoflash while not recording in the camera to capture the slomo footage (thus not pressing the start button to actually start the slomo capture), than the captured footage is interlaced in PsF as well and thus useless. So you can not record on your nanoflash while waiting for the slomo shot to capture in camera.

Chris, your right. I would fully support the idea of writing it to the memory card at 30p and would be wailling to wait twice as long if that solves the problem. Ideally it would be an menu option with the choice between 30p and 60p as write speed. And maybe the solution could be found in an adjustment of the nanoflash as well, though I wouldn't know how. Would like to see Dan keaton come in on this subject.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I am very sorry that I have not seen this thread before, thus I am very late to the conversation.

It appears that we need to get an FS700 into our lab for testing with the nanoFlash.
(We may already have one, I can check in a few hours. We have an FS100, but it will not substitute for an FS700 for this testing.)

I always trust what Alister reports and he says that the output is interlaced when the camera is set to 25p/30p.

This is a condition that I did not expect.

While manufacturers sometimes call (for simplicity sake) PSF (Progressive Segmented Frames) interlaced, it is not.

With PSF, there is zero time difference between the two fields in a frame, and thus we can convert back to true progressive.

With true Interlaced, there is a time difference between the two fields in one frame and we have no way to convert this back to true progressive.

If the output is PSF, then one can set, in the nanoFlash, Video|Record PSF > Prog(ressive) to checked.

But, if the output is actually interlaced, then setting the above is generally not a good idea.

What I find strange, is that many modern cameras, such as the FS700, have progressive sensors and creating true interlaced is a lot of work.

I do not understand what they are doing to get interlaced, as opposed to PSF, as this is a lot of extra work. If it is truely interlaced, then I assume that this was done on purpose (with great effort) so that fast motion would appear smoother on playback.

My recommendation, if it is interlaced, would be to record it as interlaced, with our Video|Record PSF>Prog(ressive) Unchecked.

While I have a huge fan of recording progressive, interlaced does have a place, and is appropriate for certain fast moving objects.

While viewing interlaced footage at normaly speed is ok, freezing a frame and examining it will show that it is interlaced.

I hope this helps.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks for coming in, Dan.

Please let us know when you have tested the FS700 if there is any possible solution to this matter. I am sure many nanoflash users would be very grateful.

Cees
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Cees,

I have determined that we do not have a FS700 in our lab, just a FS100.

However, one of our friends has both the nanoFlash and FS700 and has offered to run some tests.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Dan. We will await your findings.

I see that CD is present at IBC and that there even is a chance to win a gemini 4:4:4. You bet I will visit your boot !!
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Cees,

That is great. Mike Schell and Amber Cowles will be there.

This is a very nice price. Just be certain to register for the prize.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta