Lens flange wobble? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 13th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Lens flange wobble?

On my camera, I can detect a tiny lens flange wobble (about half a millimeter). I mean the black ring closest to the camera body, not the stainless steel part where the lens bayonet fits in.

With a lens attached, and some pressure exerted on it, I can feel and see that black ring move very slightly. Is this normal or do I have a lemon? Thanks for checking!
Attached Thumbnails
Lens flange wobble?-lens-flange.jpg  
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lens flange wobble?

Hi Luc,

I just checked on my camera, and despite a couple of years of usage, can find no movement in the lens flange - I would get it checked at a dealer, to be safe.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Paul. I think I'll do that. It's not much, just about half a millimeter, but I don't think it should move at all.
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Crazy, I just stopped in to ask the same question and here it is first post

Used this camera for a good long time but never noticed the tiny bit of movement until I used a follow focus and a manual focus 85mm Nikon and a rock solid tripod. Guess the little bit of resistance to the focus turn and the longer than normal lens along with not having my sticks in dirt made it stand out.
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I also noticed it with a longer lens. And what's more, I discovered today it's not the lens flange that's wobbling, but the complete circular mount that is fitted in the square camera body. I do not think it will pose a problem, because the wobble in this case is behind the sensor. But it's not a proof of sturdy build quality...
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I misunderstood what you originally wrote... mine also seems like its the camera guts moving a hair in the outer plastic shell. Don't think I would have ever noticed or even cared except on solid tripod with a follow focus it drifts left and right as you focus (SLR AF lenses not noticeable but manual lenses with a nice fluid/firm feel its pretty annoying.

Love the camera but don't think I will bother sending it in to be looked at...if Sony is anything like Nikon it will come back in a month it two with a note saying nothing is wrong... if I happen to come across another FS100 and it does not flex then just maybe
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Or if it is like Canon, it will come back two weeks later with a note that something ELSE is wrong, and they won't fix the first thing unless you pay for both.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Major Player

As the camera came with prime support, the dealer sent it to Sony and within 8 working days it came back fixed: the wobble has gone. No cost, perfect repair.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you, love this camera and even if I ever wanted something else I couldn't sell it like this so may as well send it in (in few weeks) wish me luck
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

With lightweight plastic camera bodies, there will nearly always be some compliance in the case structure when pressures are applied. So long as the image is not walking about or jumping during focus or zoom movements, then the camera is likely behaving to expectation. A consistent drift of the image during zoom or focus movements can indicate the optical centre axis is not on centre of the scanned area of the sensor. This was the classic signature of some 1/3" sensor cameras. The Sony DSR PD150 had a very noticeable left-right drift through the zoom movement. With the precision engineering required for such small sensors it is a minor miracle they work as well as they do..

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 23rd, 2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #11
Major Player

You're quite right Bob. Indeed, the wobble did not present any problem as to image quality was concerned: no change in sharpness, or anything.

But I wanted it fixed because you never know if these thing get worse with time and moreover, if I ever want to sell the camera, I want it to be perfect for the guy who buys it. I have a reputation to defend :-)

Now it's as tight as can be, so I'm completely satisfied.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta