advice on possible used FS100 purchase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

advice on possible used FS100 purchase

hi,

found a used fs100 that i think i want to buy. I'm curious what advice i can get from those who have one. its eligible for a manufacturer warranty, even used, and its timer says it has over 500 hours of shooting on it already. is that too many? I'm curious also if anyone knows how many hours is its sensor rated for? thanks.
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: advice on possible used FS100 purchase

I doubt you'll have a warranty if it's past 90 days (and not all warranties transfer anyhow). Better ask if they bought an extended warranty and whether it is transferable. 500 hours is a decent amount of usage, but there really are no moving parts to wear out. More importantly, you should try to find out how much was outdoor vs. indoor, any shooting on the beach (sand/grit) and if there are any dead pixels.
Some buttons might show signs of wear, but a well-kept camera used by a professional should look nearly new.
I'm at 240 hours after 7 months of use, and can report no complaints. I tend to baby my gear, so YMMV.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm guessing you didn't know that used merchandise, when sold by certain retailers, can get a manufacturer warranty ;-) adorama and B&H both do it, they just don't advertise it.

for example, Square Trade, the company b&h uses for warranties will and so will Mack Camera. but you got to ask and fulfill certain conditions.

point is that I've made the calls to the warranty company and I've made the calls to adorama to confirm it is coverable, and it is.
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I doubt you'll have a warranty if it's past 90 days (and not all warranties transfer anyhow). Better ask if they bought an extended warranty and whether it is transferable. 500 hours is a decent amount of usage, but there really are no moving parts to wear out. More importantly, you should try to find out how much was outdoor vs. indoor, any shooting on the beach (sand/grit) and if there are any dead pixels.
Some buttons might show signs of wear, but a well-kept camera used by a professional should look nearly new.
I'm at 240 hours after 7 months of use, and can report no complaints. I tend to baby my gear, so YMMV.
its a used item sold by a retailer, not an individual.
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Are you getting a killer deal on the used FS100? B&H is now selling new ones for $4500 and they're throwing in a metabones EF adapter. How much are you saving by buying the used model with 500 hours?
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

http://bit.ly/1bVRDKS

it's this one. Adorama had a deal that i couldn't refuse. it went for $3150, i think after there price will soon take a nose dive but wanted it now, and i called adorama directly at their customer support and they still do in fact offer a warranty for it. there are terms, like it being only for 2 years, but better safe than sorry
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta