What do u think on theses two lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do u think on theses two lenses?

I am thinking to choose between these two lense
Please leave your comments

1, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8

2, Sony e-mount Zeiss 24mm f1.8
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What do u think on theses two lenses?

Thomas,

I did a wedding where the photographer had it on his still camera, so i used my noflex adapter and fell in love.
I have a nikon still camera so i would get double duty. I don't know about the 24 e mount. If I had the money i would definitely get it.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

will i need lens support for 17-55mm nikon?
people said it's heavy, need to use the lens with a rig? i worry the lens is heavy than the fs100 body
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I think you will. It is very heavy. The image is beautiful though.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

I do not give any warranty, but I use the FS100 with a NEX/NIK adapter and the Nikkor 17-55 without any support. I even use the 80-200/2.8 now and then without support, just because I change lenses a lot and don not always take the time to adjust the support rail everytime. I feel completely comfortable with it but can of cause only take responsibilty for my own actions.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thx cees

And how do you like the 17-55mm on fs100?

I am also looking at the sigma 18-50 for 1/3 the price.
People said the quality is very close to Nikon, and it's lighter too
But I think Nikon has a better name when you resell the lens.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I only have adapter with no aperture control. Do u think it's ok to keep it at wide open all the time?
Cos I have a 35mm 2.8, I most of the time leave it at 2.8

For 17-55, is it sharp at 17&55 at f2.8?
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Major Player

I cannot judge the Sigma, since I never used it. But i am very happy with the Nikkor, it's build like a tank and quality is very good, also wide open. I think however it is difficult to use it without an aparture ring. Not only for controlling light, but also for depth of field. i am very happy with the Novoflex NEX/NIk adapter.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Thomas,

I just got my Novoflex-adapter and it seems really solid and reliable. I tried it with my Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and liked the focus ring with true stops very much. After I get my NEX5 with the 18-55 kit lens I don't think I would want or need need anymore e-mount lenses.

Anyone in Europe who knows how long it takes for Sony UK to do the delivery of the NEX5 and kit-lens bundled with the FS100 those days? I send my application off a week ago.
Stephan Hubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Trustee

I have the Nikkor 17-55 2.8 via the MTF adaptor, and it's my Primary Go-To Lens (closely followed by the Tokina).

It works well wide open, covers most of the S35 interview focal lengths, it's wickedly sharp when stopped down a smidgen, has a lovely look and lovely bokeh. I repeat - this is my most used lens.

Well, it is until now, and with the Metabones adaptor I'm moving over to the Canon 17-55 2.8 with IS.

But both are used WITHOUT support. Had no problems or issues with it - the MTF adaptor has been superb in that respect.

Longer lenses? Yes, probably. My Tokina 80-200 2.8 visibly *bends* on its cheap Canon dumb adaptor (actually it's in my imagination - but I can hear the camera cry out in pain).

A colleage has done something a bit like me - got a bunch of 'classic FD' lenses but has since been given a weekend with some manual Nikkor primes and now wants to junk everything and go Nikkor.

I'm not so sure it's that cut and dried. I love my Nikkor 17-55 2.8, it's just so GOOD.

But it is big, heavy, focuses the wrong way (infuriating) and the MTF adaptor operates the iris in a 30 degree arc from open to closed. That can take some getting used to.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank for the comments. I wouldn't think the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 now
The main reason is... It an e-mount, I can't use it anywhere other than nex camera

I am also looking at Sony 16-50mm f2.8with laea2 adapter. It will give autofocus and iris control to the lens
The lens seems sharp and have parfocus.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

And Matt
One more thing, do u keep the 17-55 always on the fs100?
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Is Nikon 17-55mm a parfocus lens?
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Trustee

LOL - no, the way my kitbag is packed, I use the kit lens as a 'lens cap' but with a charged battery and an empty card in the camera so I can pull it out and shoot anything within seconds. But on 99.97% of jobs, I pull the camera out, put the 17-55 Nikkor on, keep the Tokina (with its dumb mount, maybe now the Metabones) in my pocket (Scott-e-vest rocks for this) and keep a weather eye open on my Nikkor fit Samyang and FD fit Canon 35-105 f3.5.

But like I said, I don't know just how much that Metabones adaptor is going to change things. I do love the Nikkor, but I may fall in love with the Canon all over again, which has been the staple for my stills.

Edit - is the 17-55 parfocal? Maybe.

Look, this may not be of any real use to anyone but I throw it up to y'all as a simple test that seems pertinent to the way this thread is going.

This was shared amongst my videographer friends and we've all had a good bitch about using lenses at their widest aperture, and how you might buy a 1.2 lens to use at f2, and therefore we have to buy a Noktor f0.95 lens to use at f1.4 simply to get nice contrasty images at a 'wide open' style aperture, and that even f2.8 is bottling it a bit and here's me with the hots for the 24-105 f4 which has IS. But I digress.

I thought my eBay special 35-104 was parfocal but it's not. The Nikkor is darn close and at f4, I think it is. Deffo can pull in a bit with a little twist of the zoom when interviews begin to drift into the 'OMG' territory. That's better done on a dolly, but I've never had an OMFG moment in an interview when my camera's on a slider on a tripod or couple of lighting stands. Subject's too 'respectful' to drop clangers with so much kit around, so thanks Nikkor for a smooth rotating ring zoom so we can signal stuff to our viewers.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Lol, I use the 16mm pancake as body cap...
Cos I still couldn't make up my mind to buy Nikon or Sony
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta