PP for low light Fluorescents? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PP for low light Fluorescents?

Shooting B roll in hospital hallways...Shooting with kit lens (although I have several Canon FDs) - First try came out very yellow....Any advice/suggestions on white balancing or a picture profile for these conditions?
Mark Weisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PP for low light Fluorescents?

How did you white balance?
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Used 18% gray card or the indoor preset -
Mark Weisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

You might be best off shooting it flat, especially if there is a strong color cast. If you 'bake in' a highly saturated image and the colors are off, you'll be fighting an uphill battle in post. If you have access to a pop-up or solid black/white/grey chart, I would suggest using it.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Personally, I would never shoot under any man-made lighting using Preset (no matter what value it is set for) because there's no way to tell if the lights you're working under just happen to be exactly the same temperature as the value of the Preset. The odds of the two being the same are pretty low, and if you're working with fluorescent lighting, there's almost no chance preset it is going to be correct. Using Preset indoors is just asking for problems.

Under man-made lighting I always set a manual white balance. I find a white card works better than a gray card even though technically they should both be the same. Under ugly greenish fluorescent hospital lighting I'd almost always go with a Minus Green card from my set of WarmCards. That's exactly the kind of shooting situation it is made for.

WarmCards - White Balance Reference System

If I can get the WB correct at the time of shooting, then I can save myself a whole lot of grief color correcting in post -- and by taking a couple of seconds to set a proper manual white balance -- it is pretty simple to accomplish. White balancing an FS100 is no different that white balancing any of the other cameras I've used in the past 30 years, but you have to stay on top of it and re-white balance anytime the lighting has changed even a little bit. "Fixing it in post" is not my preferred way of working.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; February 29th, 2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: fix typos
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta