The surface finish of the NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The surface finish of the NX5

And now for a silly thing – the surface texture of the camera. The Z1 has a smooth black surface that that you can wipe clean with your finger. The NX5 has a rough textured surface like fine sandpaper and every finger-print shows up. If you rub your finger along any of its surfaces it makes a shusshing noise, and if you try and clean it with a damp kitchen towel say it leaves tiny flecks of the paper caught by the surface. It’s another in the list headed, ‘Who’s bright idea was that, then?’

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Tom:

To clean the camera’s casing use any commercially available microfiber cloth (especially made from polyester or polyamide).

Polyester microfiber is designed for cleaning clean on a microscopic scale. It absorbs fat and grease without being abrasive or leaving a residue and its electrostatic properties gives it a high dust-attracting power.
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you've got dry fingers, a textured surface will be a problem. If you've got oily fingers, a smooth surface will be a problem. If you're like me, and have both at different times, then there's just no winning. :) Personally, I like the textured surface better. Just looks tougher.

Best,
Aaron
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I was surprised at the finish. Sony's teaser video showed close ups of a textured surface. It's not a big deal to me, but I do prefer the textured surface to which I've been accustom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders