cheapo NEX to Canon EF lens adaptor with F Control - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: cheapo NEX to Canon EF lens adaptor with F Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Wally View Post
Hi!
I get my Commlite today and it works, but ONLY manuell, no AF! Did anyone knows or is a "tricky way" possible by mounting the adapter to get it running?

Edit: Iris function is well! :-)
AF does not work with any of the EF - NEX adapters. I mentioned it in post #8. I hear it works a little with the Metabones adapter but I hear it does not work good enough to use for filming. I knew that going in. I wanted better quality footage by using some Canon glass. I have levers on my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 thanks to Chris that works awesome in allowing me to manually adjust focus and zoom.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

hello
with this adapter will I have full control f iris f stop with any lens?
not interested Autofocus.

http://www.amazon.de/Commlite-Focus-...pter+for+Canon
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serggio Lamas View Post
hello

Commlite Auto Focus EF-NEX EF-EMOUNT FX Lens Mount: Amazon.de: Kamera
Yes if you put your cam into full manual. In my opinion it does well at auto iris. I use it with auto iris and i manually focus and zoom. I have the Commlite and the Viltrox NEX II adapters. As far as function they are exactly the same to me. the Commlite is a little cheaper. i just worry a little about the felt on the inner rim of the Commlite. i feel at some point it may shed and get particles on my sensor. That is just me being me though. So ai mainly use the Viltrox NEX II. I have the Commlite as a back up for the time being.
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Aaron
care if it works in manual iris?
the VILTROX EF-NEX II
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Aaron
care if it works in manual iris?
the VILTROX EF-NEX II
I would assume that it would work in manual but I can not confirm that as of yet. I have always used it in auto. but if you are looking for an adapter to use in total manual you may like that adapter Chris Harding uses - Here @ Amazon Chris swears by this one where he uses the iris ring to adjust manually.
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Aaron
When you have time, please see if you got the adapter work and manual from the washer cameras?
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
hello

Commlite Auto Focus EF-NEX EF-EMOUNT FX Lens Mount: Amazon.de: Kamera
this is the same i mean in post #7 and #13 - no AF but well Iris!
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Aaron
When you have time, please see if you got the adapter work and manual from the washer cameras?
Will do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Wally View Post
this is the same i mean in post #7 and #13 - no AF but well Iris!
I think head is more concerned with be able to adjust the iris in full manual to see if there is any issues or conflicts with it.
Old October 12th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Serggio,

I have to first eat some crow and say that Chris Harding was right about using the dumb adapter with aperture control ring. I got to my big wedding shoot today and when I went out to film the releasing of the doves I noticed a some issues with the auto aperture of the adapter I was using.

In auto Iris Mode...

1. The aperture did not close down enough for the outside shooting.
2. When I went back inside it did not open up enough and seemed stuck. Once I cycled power it went back to working again properly indoors.

So, I was using the Viltrox NEX II Adapter. I also have the Commlite but I was not going to try it as I'm convinced that they will perform the same seeing that it looks as if they have the same firmware. So I wanted to make sure I updated this thread with my findings. The auto aperture does not work well outside. I'm now going after the Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter with Built-in Aperture Iris ring after this experience. I'm sure I can find it cheaper Ebay.

So, Chris you were right and my hat off to you sir! To everyone else that want to use these AF adapters be cautious to extreme lighting conditions as it seem they can not adjust properly in too low of light or too high level of light. When i'm indoors it works fine. But I do not want to get caught in this situation again. So I will be selling the Viltrox NEX II and getting a Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter with Built-in Aperture Iris ring

Edit: Serggio, to answer your question, I'm not sure as of yet. I put the cam in full manual and adjusted the ISO to a good point and started shooting. I'm not to verse on aperture settings just yet. Will find out more soon.
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #25
Inner Circle

No need to apologise Aaron... I have seen many posts where the iris also jumps for no reason so what happens is you get a glitch in the footage. Any dumb adapter actually works well but just remember it's up to YOU now to remember to stop down when outside. However if you don't all is not lost as the camera will just crank up the shutter speed. What I do is just watch when the shutter starts going up and then stop down until it's around 100 or even 200 ...that also allows you to move into the shade and let the shutter drop to 50 without having to apply gain.

I did something just as horrific on Friday at a wedding!! The bride was rushing me to do the stedicam shoot so I quickly changed lenses on the b-cam and went and did the stedicam shoot. It was really bright so I couldn't see the LCD in the sun that well but everything looked normal.

When I looked at the footage, the wind had blown 3 pieces of freshly mown grass at the Church into the sensor area while I changed lenses and I now have all the footage with 3 neat blotches in the sky area. I tested the camera again but of course by then the debris had fallen off and the sensor was clean. Bummer as I cannot shoot it again!

When is your world champ wedding shoot? Or have you already done it??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Chris,

The boxing champ wedding was the one I just described. it was yesterday. They went outside to release doves and it was a very bright day and....

Sorry to hear about your sensor issue. may be you can scale the footage to where the blemishes are off screen if it is just The sky. I know that is a conundrum to have to do that and not have the scenery you wanted but...
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Any dumb adapter actually works well ...
I have read a few reviews saying that the full frame lenses maybe a little too heavy for the some dumb adapters. From what i was reading is that the release button eventually stops working and the adapter stops locking in the lens. So i would rather get one that someone has used and had no issues with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
...but just remember it's up to YOU now to remember to stop down when outside. However if you don't all is not lost as the camera will just crank up the shutter speed. What I do is just watch when the shutter starts going up and then stop down until it's around 100 or even 200 ...that also allows you to move into the shade and let the shutter drop to 50 without having to apply gain
This is my next area to learn. I have to get a better handle on how to adjust the aperture in manual. As of right now i really only have tried adjusting the ISO and Gain. Another thing that kind of throws me off is the shutter speed. I'm not sure why adjust.
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #28
Major Player

I Found this in my search so far:

with a minimal explanation here: A Great Graphic for Understanding How ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed Work
Old October 12th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I seriously use mine in full auto! It works perfectly!! Just switch to full auto on the camera and based on the fact that a manual lens in on the front it will control just shutter and ISO automatically. If shutter starts to ramp up seriously to anyone over 1/400 or more I then stop down the iris manually . When I go inside and the shutter drops to 1/50th I then simply open the iris ... it's best to try and keep the iris stopped down as much as you can. That way you have a decent DOF. I would much rather have my lens at F4 inside with 12 or even 18db of gain at a wedding ceremony than keeping the lens at F2.8 at no gain as the DOF then becomes a lot more critical.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)