corrupt card help! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 13th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: corrupt card help!

Well im heading out today I am going to take my laptop to copy the card after the ceremony then again at the end of the night for the whole thing.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I second that something else is going on... either bad cards (there are a LOT of knockoffs out there?), or something wrong elsewhere.

I've on RARE occasion had a card fail to read due to not seating in a slot properly (seems to happen with the "dual format" Sony slots fairly often), but removal and re-insertion cures it - there isn't any reason you should be having corrupted files - I've even seen files that weren't properly closed because of improper camera shut down recover on the next startup...

I tend to use the camera USB to download rather than taking cards out if I can, but with lots of cards and cameras... I haven't ever run into an unreadable card/file.

I actually would be a little concerned about the camera at this stage...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

I somewhat doubt it ..my EA-50's work every day and they are in their 2nd year now and card read/writes are perfect. Randy has already said that his card (Poor brand too!) was 4 years old and just over used and worn out so the contracts were more than likely suspect/bad

He should be OK with his new cards.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Inner Circle

If you read a few comments back you"ll see Randy had the same issue now with his new cards.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa

I see that! Weird issue ?? Seriously the only card I ever had an issue with that came up "Error" on one of my Panasonics ..I reinserted in and no issues after that and that was a Sandisk. I went back to Transcend and never have had any sort of problem.

You note that the card that Randy had an issue with (the new one) only occurred after dumping the footage. I wonder if his card reader or computer is causing an issue on the card ? The EA-50 shows a card fault if it's not formatted in camera. I used one of my cards in my Nikon by mistake and my EA-50 then came up with an offer to repair the database. I wonder if Randy is locking the card tab to read only before putting it in the computer?? At least that way, the computer cannot write anything to the card

Chris
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #36
Trustee

My shoot went fine I took my laptop and backed up every hour or so, I didnt need to though it was all there at the end of the day. I got the cards at Bestbuy There Sandisk Ultra plus class 10 32 gigs. They were on sale for $25 each maybe they were on sale for a reason. I just need them to hold out for one more week the I will get my FMU and the cards will be used as backups. You CAN dual record with the FMU right?
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

From what I read in the manual the camera will record to both cards and FMU at the same time but you have to set it up in the menu before it will do that. What I didn't check was if you have to use the USB output to transfer the FMU footage .. I would think so. I reckon it's better to use the cards and transfer to the computer and then IF you have a problem you still have the FMU for backup ...The nice thing is you can leave the footage on the FMU while to edit which frees up the cards and then once the wedding is done and dusted you can delete the FMU footage ready for the next wedding.

Glad everything worked out OK!!

Chris
Old June 15th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #38
Inner Circle

The EA50 does record to the FMU and SD cards at the same time - peace of mind :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #39
Trustee

ok after further evaluation I noticed that the 2 weddings I did seems to have gotten mixed on each other card! Weird! The only think I can think is maybe I didnt properly eject one of the cards and somehow windows mixed them.
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Are you serious? There is no way footage from one wedding can transfer themselves to another card unless you physically use the card from the first wedding at the second wedding.

When you put your cards into the reader I would definitely flip up the locking tab so no writing to card (or deleteing) can occur. I'm at fault too forgetting to lock the cards before they go into the reader but have never had Windows do anything except read them.

I have had two wedding sequences on one card BUT it was only because the cards that I used at the Friday wedding were left in my card case and when I realised that I might run out of space, I picked up the Friday card not my spare card ..that was a while back and if I do two weddings the first wedding cards stay at the computer and I just take the two allocated cards for the second wedding with me as primary cards plus, of course. two spare cards just in case

Chris
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #41
Trustee

Well what I think it is, when the "thumb" file gets damaged on a card Windows starts looking for matching files so the files arent really on the card windows just thinks they are.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)