Rain Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rain Cover

Just used the Ea 50 at a couple of golf shoots. Incredible results, but got one in Munich soon and I need a rain cover. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rain Cover

These are listed at B&H :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/943271-REG/porta_brace_rs_ea50_rain_slicker_for_sony.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896785-REG/camrade_ws_nex_ea50_wetsuit_for_nex_ea50.html
I prefer Portabrace stuff myself but that's just me.

HTHs.
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the Camrade cover. Fairly easy to install. Well built. Used it last fall in Guatemala.
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Trustee

The Portabrace Rain Slicker I have for my OLD Canon XL2s fits my EA50 not perfect, but reasonably well. It works just fine.

And I am in Arizona so it is not broken in yet after 5 or 6 years!

Steve
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Arizona!? hahaha

I thought I was dry in Spain. Thanks guysI'll check all of these out - I got a bit of North Europe and some monsoon coming up ;)
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Trustee

Arizona...yep, my portabrace rain slicker has served my well in victory lane more often than in the desert. Here is my list of offensive fluids from worst to better:

No 1. Gatorade...devastating!

No. 2. Beer... when Dale Jr. was still sponsored by Budweiser it was like a thunder storm of ale! And he did show up in victory lane in those days ;)

No. 3. Champagne, not as common as it used to be. Replaced by soft drink companies that pay for their beverage to be there.

No. 4. Water....who cares about a little water after your gear has experienced a Gatorade bath!

Rain slickers also protect gear from sand and blowing dirt. But they can't save your lens from rubber marbles.

Steve
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Major Player

I have the EA50 portabrace cover and it works well :)
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Steven,
When I was doing the remote cams for NASCAR, we used some of the latest technology for lens and camera protection. Since the cameras were mounted on the wall and got a lot of "pellets" thrown at the glass, and the company I was contracted to didn't like spending money which I understand we simply used 4X5 pieces of regular old window glass cut at the hardware store and used electrical tape to tape the glass to the lens shade. If the glass got broken, all it cost us was about 25 cents and we could replace it during the race if need be. As for rain protection, we used the good old reliable 2 bit garbage bag, 50 gallon IIRC and cut it to fit the camera body using plastic wire ties to secure it in place. At night we would throw another one over the entire unit and use a couple of wire ties at the bottom to hold the bag in place. Nothing but the bestest, highest tech stuff for us! Hey, it worked! ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)