EA50 usage questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: EA50 usage questions

Hi all,

Another question. I'll leave it here instead of starting a new thread:

I'm still getting used to shooting without ND filters. What's the most you can close down the iris (stock lens) without degrading the image?

I come from using small sensor cameras where F/5.6 is optimal, so I'm a bit hesitant about going much higher.. But I understand that large sensor cameras like the EA50 are a bit different in this respect?

Any info appreciated.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

I do weddings in bright sunshine and leave the camera in auto as the limo is arriving (auto cos everything is happening at once) and the cam will often choose a shutter of 1/6000 and stop the stock lens down to F16 and I cannot see any image degradation at all. In auto the camera seems to limit at F16 even in super bright light ... In Manual you can stop down to F29 but in auto it never closes more than F16 so maybe that's the practical limit for the iris without getting image degradation???

I bought really expensive ND's for the stock lens and all my footage went red!! I sold them after that. I might try some 4 x4 filters in the matte box and see if they work better.

You definitely can stop down to F16 with no ill effects I have found from practical experience

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Chris.

I haven't yet used the camera in full auto mode, but I do quite often use auto iris. When auto iris is set, the camera will happily close the iris down to f29 if it needs to. So it's interesting that in full auto it's limited to f16. I did a real estate shoot a few weeks ago and most of the exterior shots were around f22, and I didn't notice any issues. But closing it down any further does worry me a bit.

I'm a bit hesitant about using anything other than 1/50 shutter (it's out of my comfort zone I guess). I'm shooting a marathon in a few weeks, so lots of fast pans/fast moving subjects. Would using a high shutter speed like 1/6000 not introduce stutter?

I realise these are all things I should test out for myself, but my schedule is crazy at the moment.. so I really appreciate the info :)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

You can easily test it yourself, just start recording in a bright condition using a gradual nd filter so you have more control over the incoming light, shoot in 50p and 1/100 shutter and let the iris ramp from f3.5 all the way up to it's highest value (and while you do that say the f-stops out loud as reference when you import it in your nle) while keeping the image exposed properly, then after you have imported the footage export a frame for each f-stop and compare in a photoshop alike program, that should give you what you need to decide when the image becomes too soft.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Good idea. I'll do it tomorrow and post my findings.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:02 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I often, when I feel I"m not sure, do these kind of tests, even on a busy schedule. It's important to know the limitations of your camera before you mess it up on a paid shoot, only by looking at the testresults yourself you can decide whatever is a acceptable level for your purposes. The same applies for ISO, some people only are willing to go up to 800 iso while others are happy with iso 6400
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:16 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

That's how I tested it earlier ...shutter on auto but iris on manual. I have filmed brides jumping out of limos at F16 and high shutter speeds and the footage looks quite normal BUT the big difference is I'm shooting at 50i not 50P ...I suspect you will get stutter in progressive with fast shutters.

However don't take my word for it ..do as Noa says and run some tests and satisfy yourself if you shoot progressive. I've shot close on 30 weddings now on my EA-50's and the only one that had issues (mainly pixellation on the girls face) was shot at 50P ...I shot all the others in 50i and it's hard to make it go wrong. The so-called huge quality difference I have yet to see even at 1920x1080 never mind SD DVD

However that's just me ...take a few hours off tomorrow and test the camera before the shoot!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

i use a ND filter for outdoors, so i can keep 1/60 shutter and around f5.6 on the iris.

if too bright, can close the iris a bit, if darkens, i can bump the ISO a bit.
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Martins View Post
"When [FACE DETECTION] is set to [ON], you
cannot adjust shutter speed, etc. To adjust
shutter speed, etc., set [FACE DETECTION] to [OFF]

The best answer ever. I have struggled with this for ages. Thanks for the info. ")
Robert Moran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)