Stage shoot Settings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Stage shoot Settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Edit: I just reread this whole thread again. Ron, I guess my comment above only applies to old handycams. I did not know they had refined spotlight to the level you speak of.
For most of the new Sony's I have, the spotlight seems to do a peak exposure reading instead of the whole scene. Hence the naming. It will not manage a full wide shot of a dark stage with a small person in a spotlight !!! But it does do a good job of a medium shot with people in the spotlight better than just AE shift and has the advantage that if the lights go up and down quickly is a lot faster than trying to manually adjust. I normally shoot with 3 or 4 cameras and they are set up differently to try and account for changes in lights.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #17
Trustee

Tom,

It is AE Shift. You set the value you want in the menu. You can also turn it on and off there. If you assign a preset button to it, that button will activate it to the level you set.

Thanks for the info Ron. And yes, rapidly changing theater lights has always been a difficult situation to shoot in. Especially when the LD designed his look for the human eye and not video exposure latitude. That is why I love to be there for dress rehearsals if there is one.

Steve
Old December 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Major Player

my 2 bits concentrate on focus and exposure leaving wb til post
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes I have all my cameras set for indoor WB. With a mix of tungsten and LED ( that can have variable white balance ) lights these days that can change from scene to scene it is almost impossible to get one setting correct for the whole show. Better to do it afterwards. Focus is critical especially in HD and under expose a little. Fixed camera set for AE shift of -.5 to -1.0 and occasionally the medium shot camera with Spotlight or full manual depending on what is happening !!! Easy to make lighter not so easy to replace lost highlights.

Ron Evans
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Tom,

It is AE Shift. You set the value you want in the menu. You can also turn it on and off there. If you assign a preset button to it, that button will activate it to the level you set.

Thanks for the info Ron. And yes, rapidly changing theater lights has always been a difficult situation to shoot in. Especially when the LD designed his look for the human eye and not video exposure latitude. That is why I love to be there for dress rehearsals if there is one.

Steve
Steve, in the menu I can set it from -2 till +2. After I set this to, for example, -1 it stays all the time at -1?
When I set it off It goes to 0?

For stage I will set it to -1 or -2 I think.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Can't speak for the AE50 but for my small Sony cameras I set them to -.7 if the set is light and -1 if there is darker scenes or more contrast. Simplistically if you think there is a lot of darkness in the shot go more negative to stop the camera opening up too much.

Ron Evans
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Trustee

Tom,

Let me be more specific. You said you set the AE shift and you assigned a button to it. The button will then give you three options: 1. ON 2. Off 3. Set the value

Anytime you see the white box around a number on your viewfinder the camera is telling you it wants you to pick a value manually. Some times you select the value with the menu wheel and sometimes it is the iris wheel.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)