HVR-MRC1 and a ticking camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Tourist

HVR-MRC1 and a ticking camera

Hello. My name is Bud and I am from the Netherlands. I signed up because it seems a lot of people are very knowledgeable about the Z7 here. My question is this: I am having a problem with the HVR-MRC1. For some reason the HDV function is disabled. I spent a week trying to change every setting in the camera. But still it’s not working. To record DVcam, is no problem on the CF card. But for some reason I can not put it on HDV (in the list of the MRC: AUTO, HDV, DV is HDV grey). Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong and what my camera settings should be to record HDV on CF? I have another question too. My camera is making 'ticking' sounds, when i play, record fast forward, and rewind in the tape mode. Im a little bit in a panic because I invested most of my savings in this camera and bought it second hand. There is still prime support on it (a year), but i don't have the details and the original receipt.

Last edited by Bud Wichers; January 2nd, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Bud Wichers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Tourist

go to menu -> in/out rec -> i.link set -> set it on OFF
Van Hove Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You're sure the cam is in HDV mode (that is, it says "HDV1080i" in the LCD)? Page 83. And i.LINK SET > HDV --> DV CONV. is OFF? Page 86. And EXT REC CTRL is also set properly? (Also page 86.) Your LCD reads "HDV out"?

The MRC generally just records whatever you send to it; there are no settings to tell it to record DV vs HDV. (Playback, yes; record, no.) The list you're looking at (i.LINK MODE) is playback only, and only refers to a clip already on the card. So if it was a clip recorded in DVCAM or DV, of course HDV will not be available. Just leave it on AUTO.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Does the 'ticking noise' disappear when you switch the stabilising system off? I know the gyros make a clearly distinctable noise, but to me it sounds more like a humming.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Major Player

hey i wonder if the ticking sound is the Reel locks?
ya know how some cheaper built DV tapes, AND some plastic releace levers on tape mechanisms, the Releace lever doesnt disengage that reel lock thing Fully. then the reel lock plastic thing clicks against the reel, faster at FFWD and FREW and slower at Play and record.
this (of course) can be a very bad thing, and usually can be fixed by using better tape, potentially the Pin thing that goes up into the reel releace hole can be adjusted slightly.

we had more problems with that stuff when they changed from the pin being metal, to being plastic, to being bendly plastic. sometimes resettling the tape back in will engage the mechanism better.

IF it was that, you want to do something about it, or you could get more "drag" from the reel locks, enough to cause a malfunction.

it just didnt click :-) the first time i read it.

So that might not be the right terminology. "reel Locks" are this plastic thing that keeps the tape from unraveling when unloaded, and they are also directional, allowing tightening but not loosening. the reel itself has gear like notches all around the base of it. the reel lock can be Manually disengaged by Jamming a screwdriver into the hole for it. the hole on the tape is on the Bottom (when flat) in the center back, it is not usually a round hole.
A good way to see this STUFF is take some old tape you dont care about, and carefully tear it apart, everything you need to see is right there, if it didnt come flying out :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270