Sony Z7 / S270 various topics - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #46
Trustee

Useful CF cards test data

A test on several CF cards and their transfer rates:
http://techthoughts.org/2008/03/14/c...-test-results/
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Sony EX3?

Hey, there isn't a specific EX3 section so sorry for posting here, but anyone know if they are using a rolling shutter in the new ex3 or finally a global?
Bill Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Elusive Button

This may not be worth a thread of its own, but I tried asking in another location without luck.

I have searched high and low, near and far for the assignable "RET" button that is supposedly somewhere on the z7u lens. I removed the lens, watched the VAAST training video, looked through the manual, did a google search. But even after all that, I CAN NOT FIND this button, which is probably hiding in plain sight. Can anyone point it out?

Thanks very much, and please pardon the interruption if this is a truly dumb question.

Paul

UPDATE: More than 70 views of this, and no answer. Is there a "ret" button??

Last edited by Paul Budline; April 16th, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Paul Budline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
Hey, there isn't a specific EX3 section so sorry for posting here, but anyone know if they are using a rolling shutter in the new ex3 or finally a global?
As I understand it the sensor block is the same as in the EX1. No changes to the shutter (or lens, or recording modes, etc). Basically the same camera, more (arguably better) outs, timecode/genlock support, removable lens in a package that is a bit better to handle.

George/

P.S. There is a Sony XDCAM EX CineAlta forum here on DVInfo.net
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #50
Major Player

Z7U Clips 24p NAB and VEGAS Low light

Z7U Clips 24p NAB and VEGAS night Low light clips flash format.

http://www.dvdaction.net/dvdaction_028.htm
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Stunning.

Some really good looking pictures there. If we can fix this lens issue, this camera would be almost perfect.
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #52
New Boot

Problems Capturing CF Card Files

i have done several tests with the CF card unit.

there are always some files which could not be captured by final cut (sometimes 2, sometimes 4). but copying to harddisc and converting them with mpeg streamclip just works fine. see following pic:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...HtW4eAGN5S.jpg

there is another weird thing:
capturing files works just on my macbook pro using 10.5 and final cut 6.0.2.
using my mac pro with 10.4 / final cut 6.0.3 does not work. no files could be found.
i am using sandisk extreme III cards / 16 GB and the sandisk firewire extreme reader connected with firewire 800 (tried also the sony CF card unit for capturing, but it is slower than the reader).

please, could somebody help me with my troubles?

thanks a lot!
clemens fischer
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #53
Tourist

Time Code Jam Sync?

Does the HVR-S270 have time code linkability either through BNC or through Firewire, as the Z1 has? I saw in the brochure a TC OUT connector, but no TC IN.
Dale Cornibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #54
Trustee

Return button

Page 43 of the Z7 owners manual, quote:

The RET button is an assignable button on NON Carl Zeiss lenses.

Having tried a Canon SD broadcast lens on one of these this is correct as you can program this button on the Canon, or Fujinon for that matter, with a number of Z7 functions bar those items listed in the manual, also on page 43.

If you mean 'return' in the same sense we use it for broadcast lenses then you would look at the L2 switch behind the zoom rocker on the lens. By default this is set to 'expanded focus' on the Z7.

In the 'Others' menu under 'Assign Btn' the L2 switch can be set for 'Rec review' which would make it the same as the return button on a broadcast lens. Although in the true sense of the word this is used for a video return from the switcher in a multicam switch. Broadcast cameras not used in multicam can have this switch used for 'Rec review' to see the last few seconds of the last shot if the camera has a VTR backend. On the Z7 you also have the assign choice of 'Last scene rev'. Button #6 on the camera body is by default set to 'Rec Review' as we would see on a return button on a broadcast lens.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney, Aust
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cornibe View Post
Does the HVR-S270 have time code linkability either through BNC or through Firewire, as the Z1 has? I saw in the brochure a TC OUT connector, but no TC IN.
Yes it can be done via firewire for multiple cameras. A bit long winded to go into here but suffice to say it's clearly explained in the moaners annual... ooops! Sorry I meant the owners manual.

Chris Young
CYV Pproductions
Sydney, Aust
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Working cover HVR S270e

Has anyone found a custom fitted working cover for the 270 yet?
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #57
Major Player

Audio trim ... can someone help explain?

I'm still going through my manual and I'm going to order the training DVD for the Z7 in the next few days ... but on Monday I'm taping a rehearsal of a high school event. I'll have one input with a shotgun mic and the second input will be a feed from the board.

I'm somewhat assuming that especially with the feed that I need to turn the limiter on. Is that correct?

And if so ... should I still put a limiter in-line between the board and the camera?

Second ... audio trim. How should I use it? Is this essentially the same thing as a limiter and if so ... is there a good starting point for setting it?

Audio has never been my strong suit and I don't think I've worked with anything that had audio trim involved.

Thank you.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #58
Trustee

Yes put a limiter or compressor between the board and the ch2 input, also make sure it is switched to line level not mic.

The on camera mic should also be set to auto and I have found that the gain for most things is fine as the auto limiter is very good.

If you find the mic overloading then you can then reduce the mic ch input gain via the on-board menu so that the mic amp input isnt overloaded.

Hope this helps.
Gary
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Feedback

I have solved the problem I thought I had on my S270. I thought the Sony remote zoom and focus demand unit wasnt operating focus. After my first real job with the camera I solved the problem by pushing the lanc controller plug into its socket harder ( I was in hurry!) I checked the focus rocker switch and it works( very slowly) providing the lens is in auto focus mode , I presume if the lanc connector is plugged in it takes over from auto focus....DOH !!!stupid operator error.
I found the eyepiece viewfinder lacking in bite for focussing which I had anticipated. The LCD screen( with optional sunshade, is reasonably bright but seems to reflect blue back from ambient light?
My PAG L95 battery showed six hours of use left after the shoot so battery life is much better than my DSR 570. Maybe its due to the lack of a tube viewfinder sucking up all the amps, but I would still prefer to have the pin sharp eyepiece as on the DSR 570 and 450 especially working in HD. I was just using DVcam today.
More later.
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #60
Tourist

1080p to 1080i conversion?

Dear Forum-

I have several tapes that were shot on the Z7U with the record type accidentally set to progressive instead of interlace and my post workflow is only set up for handling 1080i. (Basically I have 1080/24 native p and I need 1080/24 over 60i for my post process to work.) Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can easily and cheaply convert my shot tapes to 1080i? A post house has quoted me $750 per tape to convert, which is out of the question budget wise. I am considering attaching the camera to my HVR-1500 deck via iLINK and attempting to re-record the tapes hoping the deck will automatically convert, but I have no idea if this will work. (FYI- the HVR-1500 does not handle tapes shot in the native progressive mode.) Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
Jay Hufford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270