Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
How many people are recording w/o a break for longer than 70min? If you don't, stick with a bunch of 16GB cards. They're small, cheap & well trusted.
Sorry, for some reason I had different figures in my head. I've only just seen a 16gb can capture 72mins (which considering I've been working on 60 min tapes for 5 years obviously is perfect for me)

Is that 72mins at the highest quality? Could I record 60 mins simultaneously to a 16gb card at highest quality and to tape for a back up? Thats basically what I'm after.

Very rarely wedding speeches go over an hour and cause me problems, but if I stuck a 32gb card in for the speeches and a 60 min tape, I'll be covering my back in case the 32gb has issues as well as ensuring that as long as the card works and things run over, I wont have to stop recording. Ooh I like this..
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I mostly do weddings, and many of them are Catholic. Ceremonies are easily 1 hour to an hour and a half, but after that I don't need to run the camera for more then 20 min at a time (speeches, cake cutting, dances, ect) So I have a few 32gig cards, but mostly 16s. I use Ridata brand (233X), and I have been very happy with them. And by the way, the Kingston cards I got (166x) died within the first or second use.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #48
Major Player

[QUOTE=David Payne;1552826]Is that 72mins at the highest quality? Could I record 60 mins simultaneously to a 16gb card at highest quality and to tape for a back up? Thats basically what I'm after.
QUOTE]

Absolutely. That's the beauty of the Z5
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #49
Trustee

We have three MRC-1s and, on the advice of Sony dealer, use 16Gb Pretec 233x metal clad CF cards. No problems.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #50
Trustee

Re: Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit

sorry to bring up this old thread, but it's over 8 months since the last posting and i'm in the market for a 32gb card.....

has anyone had any experiences with 'newer' cards (my 16gb sandisk are still going mighty strong, but the 32gb are still well over $200au)?

tia

btw. what IS the actually minimum read/write rate in m/bs and / or ???x required for constant video (ie. not burst rate)
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #51
Major Player

I too am interested in this information! Hopefully, someone will reply, as I'm in the market for a 32gig card!

Thanks!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #52
Major Player

As usual, I went with a Lexar 32gb 300x. It's been great for me. Many people have no problem with 133x.
I want 300x on my cards.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #53
Inner Circle

My Sandisks are, I think, the equivalent of 200x and I've never had a problem with them. The Kingstons I've had -- 6 out of 7 of which failed -- are 133x. But I have a 133x Transcend which has been flawless.

FWIW.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Interesting about issues with the Kingston 133x. I assume you are talking about the the green Elite Pro cards ? I have capturing to my Canon 5D for 2 years with them without a hitch. I just bought 5 more from someone on this site to use in a used MrC1k I bought. Last night I captured an hour long show through my cable box and my VX2000 (obviously in DV) and the unit captured the entire run without a hitch. After the capture, I immediate pulled the card, and it was certainly warm, but I had not problem transferring.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #55
Trustee

okay, i just re-read this thread and still am unclear as to whether you can use cf larger than 32gb?

and i know all the relevant arguments about using 16gb (which i do anyway), but i'm still curious.....

anyone any experience with 64gb cards?
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #56
Trustee

ok, i'll put my latest observation in:

bought one of these:

Faster than SANDISK 32GB Extreme Compact Flash Memory Card 533X - Lifetime Warranty

so far so good - filled it a couple of times...

@$85aus - bargain!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000