.43x Wide Angle Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #1
New Boot

.43x Wide Angle Lens

I have never used a wide angle lens on a video or still camera. The wide angle lens that I have is .43x. When I zoom in, the outside edges around the picture of the camcorder gets cloudy. Am I doing something wrong, or is this natural?

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Pete Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

.43x is very wide... unless it's a really good lens ($$$) I would expect some problems. It may not be full zoom-through, meaning it will lose focus at some point as you zoom in. It will also probably have a lot of barrel distortion (make straight lines appear curved).
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Boyd......When I zoom in is when I get the cloudiness on the edges of the picture. I guess that's a normal problem huh? It is a very wide angle lens, I guess it's pretty much useless for football games. The z5 seems to have a pretty wide lens already.

Thanks,

Pete
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Wrangler

I don't think it's a "normal problem" because there is no "normal lens". There are many different brands, quality levels and prices for wide adaptor lenses. You get what you pay for. But I would be very surprised to find a .43x wide adaptor with decent quality. Sony makes an adaptor specifically for the z5 which is very expensive and heavy, and it is only a .8x.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a ton Boyd!

Pete
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Boyd is right. Sony's 0.8x is a top-notch lens and costs $500 (without matte box or hood). The .43x you have must be simpler lens and not zoom-through, which means you should be using it only in zoom-out position. It might be a great lens for a skater or other extreme sports fanatic :-) What brand is it, Pete?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
New Boot

It's a digital concepts, and yes, when I start to zoom out is when it gets cloudy around the edges. This thing has such a wide angle that you can actually see the edge of the lens itself in the picture.

Pete
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
It's a digital concepts, and yes, when I start to zoom out is when it gets cloudy around the edges. This thing has such a wide angle that you can actually see the edge of the lens itself in the picture.

Pete
Where can you get one? I might be interested in it :-)
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000