Tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #1
New Boot

Tapes

This has probably been asked before, but can a DV tape be used twice without damaging or putting dirt on the heads?
Thanks
Allan Sealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes, though the more times you use it the more coating the tape will shed. Personally I normally record once, capture the whole tape to hard disk and then stick the tape in a safe place in case I ever need it again; they're so cheap these days there's little reason to re-use them.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I, on the other hand, view tapes in a different light completely. Like you I suspect I'd never ever set out on a shoot with untested kit - be it tripod, microphone, wide-angle converter ... or tape.

Just think - you're buying a tape that's a complex assembly of 28 parts, and you pay about a couple of dollars for each one, yet you expect that they'll all be 100% perfect? There is simply no way that this can happen. Even if 99.9% of those that get past end of line inspection (what's that worth at $2 per tape?) are indeed perfect - then that means that there's quite literally hundreds of tapes out there waiting to be bought that are faulty in some way.

Me? When I know a tape is good, runs perfectly and is dropout-free I can breathe again, safe in the knowledge that it's part of my tested kit. I've reused MiniDV tapes again and again, and I'm pretty sure the second and subsequent passes (when the microscopic impurities have been burnished down) give even greater reliability.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I hear what Tom is saying, but I sometimes re-used tapes where I was 100% confident I would never need the material recorded on it again. Then of course unseen circumstances occurred and I needed something I'd taped over. Big mistake and I will never do that again, so I'm like Mark - tape once then put them away for safe-keeping.

Even if you've backed up the contents on DVD or hard disk then I would still keep the tape as I'm wary of the archival quality of DVD or hard disk. Tape is cheap and so far (touch wood) I haven't had a faulty one (I've had cameras chew tapes a couple of times, but that's probably more likely to be a camera fault).
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Just think - you're buying a tape that's a complex assembly of 28 parts, and you pay about a couple of dollars for each one, yet you expect that they'll all be 100% perfect? There is simply no way that this can happen. Even if 99.9% of those that get past end of line inspection (what's that worth at $2 per tape?) are indeed perfect - then that means that there's quite literally hundreds of tapes out there waiting to be bought that are faulty in some way.
tom.
Interesting point Tom. I never really thought of it that way. I have always used tapes once and then file them. Good argument to reuse though.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Trustee

I buy tapes in packs of 5 or more. When I get them I number them. Forget names. Too much trouble. Numbers are easy and I just keep a chart of what I put on each numbered tape.

I would no more risk using a tape twice than I would go out on site with only one battery.

Paranoid? Me? No. Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Before I go out to shoot, I fast forward and rewind all of the tapes I am taking with me. I use an inexpensive DV camera to do that. Retensioning has always served me well.
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Before I go out to shoot, I fast forward and rewind all of the tapes I am taking with me. I use an inexpensive DV camera to do that. Retensioning has always served me well.
That's a good tip.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz

Indeed this is a very good practice!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1