Would live down-convert work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 18th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Would live down-convert work?

Having a couple of FX1s coming my way soon I was wondering if the down-convert function would work for me in the following setup. Normally I will be using them in SD for filming church services, feed the signals into a nNovia FireWire switcher (dual output) and from there one signal into a stand-alone DVD burner, the other one into a PC for live streaming. This should work no problems.

But suppose something comes up I consider worth filming in HD for post processing - can I record HD to a tape while the camera is still streaming SD via FireWire? Has anyone tried this? I know the FireWire output will stream whatever the camera is set to work at the moment (SD or HD), but will it down-convert real time? I would think it will, but the owner’s manual only mentions playback from an HD tape and not live.

Thanks,
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes you can down convert via firewire, wile recording HDV to tape.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Cool, thanks Mack!
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yep, it should work. But there's something different between the FX1 and Z1 with live downconversion IIRC. I have never looked into this myself (I have a Z1), but note this on the watchdog site:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

Quote:
HD out to iLink: (FX1)2 sec. delay (Z1)Realtime
Does anyone have firsthand experience with this? I was always curious about just what it means....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1