FX1 Audio! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Tourist

FX1 Audio!

I have used the Sony DCR-PC100 for 5 years. I have just upgraded to the HDR-FX1. I have used the FX1 twice already. When a headset it plugged and the volume is cranked to 100%, I can barely hear while recording. When I unplug and play back the tape through the internal speaker, the same problem. I have the volume all the way up and have to put my ear to the on board speaker just to hear it. The audio seems fine when the video is captured to the computer however. After talking with Sony Tech, levels 1, 2 and 3, it was suggested that I send it in for repair which I did. The bench tech called me yesterday and said the camera seems to be working just fine. Has anyone else had this problem. I am ready to go back to my DCR-PC100!
Thanks,
Mike
Mike Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Mike,
You've definitely turned the volume controls (volume + / - ) on the panel under the LCD screen all the way up? The onboard speaker isn't very loud, but you should be able to hear your recording with headphones.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mike

The onborad mic is pretty crap on this camera... I'm sure Robin will agree, you'll get better audio with a Beatchtek and an At897 than the stock mic.

I use this set up both as an on board mic, and a bom set up and get pretty good sound...

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Three comments:

1) The Reference Level for HDV is -20dB not the -12dB used for DV. So it will in fact sound lower than you are used to.

2) It looks like Sony failed to increase the amplifier gain.

3) You may simply need far more sensitive earphones and be sure they are of the correct impedence.
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have an AT822. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if that's going to be a good match for my FX1 when it gets here.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1