using an old camcorder to rewind tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

using an old camcorder to rewind tapes?

hi there
I am waiting for my Z1 to arrived (found one almost 0 hours) but I am wondering if I can keep using my old Canon just for mechanic duties (rewinding and stuff)

as I would be using HDV tapes and the Canon is NOT and HDV camcorder, will I be at risk of ruining the tapes?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

In my opinion, you don't need to use a separate camcorder to rewind the tapes. There's not that much strain on the parts when you rewind (as in stop-rewind, not review.) Playing a tape recorded in HD on a non-HD camcorder shouldn't damage the tape (as long as it's the same kind of tape, ie MiniDV.) You just won't be able to see what's recorded on it.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ed's right: you can, but you don't need to do this. It's not the rewinding that's the problem for the cam in using it as a capture device, it would be the constant shuttling back and forth if you are capturing only selected scenes with in and out points rather than just capturing the entire tape in one go. And even so, the Z1 is built like a tank and will easily handle whatever you can throw at it.

But it certainly won't damage the tape in any way. And note that you never have to use the special HDV tapes; any MiniDV tape will do, as has been much-discussed in the tape forum.
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll join in and say it's better not to use 'an old camcorder' to rewind tapes. Why? because old camcorders have old decks in them, and old decks get out of alignment and the feed and take-up hub tensions change. Some older camcorders have rather 'sudden' starts and stops also, whereas the more expensive DV decks gently accelerate and decelerate the tape. This is good news for vulnerable and very thin tape. Use your Z1.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1