Camera Stabilizer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Stabilizer

I know it was disussed many times but even after so much searching and reading I cannot make up my mind for which is the best stabilizer for the Z1.
My type is shooting will include a lot of walking around (nature,museums etc) where I have a talent on screen to record while walking....I just would like to have something to support the camera for longer shots plus have nice steady movements while walking....!
Thanks
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone has any input on this one for me pls??
Gabor
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Major Player

How much money are you talking about spending here?

You should look at a Steadicam Flyer if you can afford it.

I have a DVrig Pro, which I love to bits, but it more about support than stabilisation.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

... or the Glidecam Smooth Shooter or V-8.

Cheers,

-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys....Glidecam Smoother is great but I would like weird in a museum like that...I am really thinking about dvrig pro.? Is it good for smooth handheld shoots and walking shoots ????
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Contributor

That appears to be sort of a handheld tripod replacement. It wouldn't do much for any moving shots. I think you'd be better off with just a simple shoulder mount if you don't want to use a tripod, then for walking shots, use the optical stabilization in the camera, hold it by the handle lightly, and walk in sort of a flat footed shuffle to minimize the up and down bumps. You want steadycam type movement, you need a steadycam type device.
You might check the Marzpak. It looks weird, and it's not a steadycam, but it can smooth you walking shots a little bit with some practice, and it steadies the camera very nicely for hand held shots.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Major Player

I do not think you are going to find any "steadycam" type device that is stealthy and not noticeable to people in public.. One nice stabilizer is the Flow Pod by VariZoom..

Mike M.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just shot a commercial last week and it was the first time we had used our new Z1 in production as opposed to our larger shoulder mounted cameras. I had a shot where I had to walk backwards in front of an actor walking around a restaurant. I used the new Fig Rig and was very pleased with the results. As to taking it to a museum it kind of looks like a steering wheel with a camera in the middle and though any rig will draw attention it's on the minimum side. I also used it in a shoot this weekend by holding it over my head and then dropping down using my arms and knees and got a pretty decent jib simulation.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

So Flow Pod sounds like a good idea ?? How about Glidecam 4000 ???
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1