Z1 info - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : << recently I saw some really bad footage taken with the FX1 >>

Gee whiz. I've seen really bad footage from just about every camcorder ever made. Most often it's operator error -- the camera doesn't have that much to do with how bad it is. -->>>

I bet I could take bad footage with any camera!! Good point Chris.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, Bob, when I made that comment, I didn't state *who* had shot the bad video I'd seen...

So, allow me to clarify:

Hand me *any* camcorder, and I'll show you how to get some really bad footage out of it.

That's just, ahh, one of my many skills.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM   #33
Trustee

I shot on full auto on my vacation to Hawaii. I really didn't have the chance to learn to use the camcorder before I left, and had no way to look at the footage decently until I returned.

To be honest, a lot of it is useless because it was just too rainy this trip, but the majority of it is quite nice. If I knew that there market for this stuff included the ambient sound, I might have not chatted as I was shooting. My intention from the beginning was to use orchestral music as the soundtrack for the video.

When I came home I found out that there was a market for 5 minute HDV nature shots. http://www.thewindowchannel.com/

I am quite pleased with the majority of the shots I took. They are long enough to use, steady (I use a tripod), and the subject matter is striking (sunrises, waves breaking, that kind of thing).

Truly, the only time I took it off auto was to change the focus to infinity. And it is dramatic footage. All with I camcorder I don't really know how to use yet.

So, if the Sony can protect me from myself, it is a great consumer camcorder. It the Z1 adds the features the pros want, on top of what I have, it should be a great camcorder for the hard working pro.

By the way, another difference between MiniDV and DVCAM is the width of the track it lays down The wider the track, the less chance of minor problems with the tape.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Chris Hurd can show us how to get BAD footage, so we always get it right!

heath
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:32 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

And you know what, I can do that in my SLEEP!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1