Another FX1 tape record problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
I think Sony has released a device that allows you to record to memory card (I think CF) in most Sony prosumer cameras, including the FX1. I don't remember the name of the device but I can check it out in a few hours, but I remember its cheaper than a hard drive recorder (and definitely safer). But besides that, there is a chance of faulty tapes in all the similar cases. Once we bought from a guy that had tapes with higher dropout rate than our next seller. Many users say that they never had such problems. It may be true but it also may be true that they usually shoot DV and not HDV. It makes a difference because many times a dropout in DV may not be visible at all, maybe it's a slight glitch in a corner of the image or 1/25 of the second of faulty audio. But the same dropout in HDV means 12 times more damage. And this is definitely visible.

Also, some people say that HD tapes can be re-recorded many many times without problem. Maybe you should buy half a dozen of them and experiment with multiple re-recordings.
I'm looking for a device like that (record from my FX1 to an external drive): does it exist?
Luca Coralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The HDD version is the DR60; the card version is the MRC1K. Much info in forums above about both of these.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

There was a big thread in the Long Black Line section about filming HDV on DV tapes. All agree never reuse tapes, some say you can get away with new DV tapes, and others only use the more expensive HDV tapes.

My policy, which changed when I had a similar problem with drop frames, is for important events that must be continuous, use the expensive HD tapes, which decrease the likely hood of drop frames. It also wouldn't hurt to clean the heads and put the camera in a ziplock bag when not being used to keep out dust. Drop frames isn't a problem specific to FX1/Z1. Any camera shooting HDV is more susceptible to drop frames, that's why they make the more expensive HDV tapes.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; June 25th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1