Rapidly Draining Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Rapidly Draining Batteries

Is it common that my batteries would drain an hour for every 20 minutes while recording? The only thing connected to my cam is a Rode shotgun. My only guess is heat.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
Is it common that my batteries would drain an hour for every 20 minutes while recording?
Actually, cold would have a worse effect. Do you mean that the display on your camera shows battery life decreasing by an hour after only 20 minutes of recording?

Cold has a negative effect on battery life. Could also be that they are old, been recharged too many times and are reaching the end of their useful life. They also drain faster if the LCD is open.

If not that, could you test them on another camera, hopefully the same model? That would at least let you know if it's the camera or the batteries.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Could also be "cheap" aftermarket batteries that some vendors like to sell. They typically don't live as long as the normal or more well known battery makers.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Good point. I hear some reports of them dying suddenly even though the display indicates plenty of time left.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmrrr...but aftermarket batteries are so cheap. I wonder if it's any indication that they take forever to charge as well.

BTW, down here in Phoenix we don't know cold. Our cams catch fire every now and then. (The trick is to blow it out without camera shake.) It's a treat to vacation in Washington where the air is naturally cool -- without AC! Wild.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Major Player

I have a cheap battery that has an extremely shorter life than when I bought it. The way to fix it in my case, is to deplete the battery completely and then charge it completely. After that it goes back to normal... for a while
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Trustee

My 960 can last 3hrs with the LCD on. Usually I record 2hrs
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1