Regular 'ol miniDV or Sony's uber-miniDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Regular 'ol miniDV or Sony's uber-miniDV?

So we just picked up a couple of V1U's and are about to shoot a documentary and we're wondering... stick to our stash of standard miniDV tapes we've been using with our DVX100A, or splurge on those fancy tapes that came with the camera?

We pretty much don't have the money to go $10 a tape, but if it's necessary, we'll find a way. Is there a consensus opinion on the worth of spending more on those "special" HDV miniDV tapes?
Alec Matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Matias View Post
So we just picked up a couple of V1U's and are about to shoot a documentary and we're wondering... stick to our stash of standard miniDV tapes we've been using with our DVX100A, or splurge on those fancy tapes that came with the camera?

We pretty much don't have the money to go $10 a tape, but if it's necessary, we'll find a way. Is there a consensus opinion on the worth of spending more on those "special" HDV miniDV tapes?
What you can do, is using DVCAM-mini tapes, instead "cheap" DV-mini tapes
DVCAM tapes use the “better” tape material and V1U is “made” for it

The HDV-tapes are optimised against dropout and wear.
If you’re honest, cost of tapes is minimal, against cost of all other expenses.

With HDV, if you have a dropout, it is not 1 picture but a group of 12 or 15

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Personally I use the Sony premium tapes you can buy at Best Buy or where ever. I buy them mail order by the case but have had great results with them. I use them now only with my HC3 since the V1 uses the DR60 all the time. Also I don't reuse the tapes. One pass to record and one pass to capture.

Chris
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been using Fuji DV tapes with no problems.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #5
Trustee

If you have had good results with one particular plan shooting DV, you probably will have similar results with HDV. If you have occasional dropouts with your current brand shooting DV, switch tape brands before going to HDV or you may drop an entire GOP (15 frames). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. DV tapes aren't some spooky new technology. I'm sure Sony just used their standard DV deck mechanism inside the V1, so we probably are working with a well-known piece of equipment.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7