How bad is it to use my V1U as the recorder and also for playback? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 10th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #16
Major Player

Quicktime Pro is a good option. It's not free, but at $30.00 US it's inexpensive. You can load a clip, mark in and out, then trim to selection and save without re compressing. Unfortunately you can't do it as a batch.
Lee Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I've heard about Womble for cutting MPEG2 without re-encoding on the pc, never used it myself.

$70 US, http://www.womble.com/products/mvw.html

They also have this product, http://www.womble.com/products/vcr.html, $35 US, which may do all you need.

Free trials available for both.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Lee, Seth;

Thanks a lot - I just downloaed and tried the MPEG-VCR; works as expected - superfast, no recode!
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #19
Major Player

Put me down as one who doesn't see the point in buying a dedicated deck. It would be nice, don't get me wrong, but instead I bought a V1 for nearly the same money. Now I have 2 HDV cameras, (FX-1 too) and can do everything the deck can AND shoot video too! Plus if one camera goes down, I have another to use. If I bought a deck and the camera goes down, I have...well...a deck. I've dubbed hundreds of hours of footage with my FX1 and it still works like a charm.

Just my .02!

Now if they would come out with a deck that can record HDV output of a KONA card in real time via HD-SDI (or component even)....then I'd buy one in a heartbeat! But no one wants to do that...they all make you record via firewire, and that takes HOURS and HOURS of render time. But that is another topic...
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #20
Trustee

Don't know about anyone else but I'd be lost without my M15U, how else to handle D5 shell tapes and R50 and R60 tapes?
Sure I used to do the camera on the desk trick, what a PIA. Risk isn't the heads, think whole thing falling on the floor, power glitch frying the firewire ports etc. Plus the M15 rewinds SO much faster than a camera transport.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #21
Trustee

Bob, can HDV be recorded onto the larger DVCAM tapes using a deck? That might be the one benefit I could understand. The faster shuttle would be nice, but all I do is rewind once and capture the whole tape.

My 320Gig SATA Seagate with 16Meg buffer cost 90$. I'll let it take the abuse.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #22
Trustee

Yeah I don't understand why a deck has to cost SO MUCH. It is essentially a friggin' VCR. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could get it for less than $200 DV/HDV...

BTW my HVR-A1U rewinds faster than any camera I've owned or used so far, something new to me, I'm used to it being slow. If I could get that rewind speed, DV/HDV, and under $200 I'm sold this second.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #23
Major Player

VideoReDo will edit HDV files, but outputs them as .TS files. Womble's MPEG Video Wizard outputs .M2T files, but I've had minor issues with it not writing the PCR PID correctly.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Buying a $3000 deck to save wear on a $4000 camera that could probably have the mechanism replaced for about $500 doesn't seem to make sense. I like the cheap HDV cam as a deck/backup and capture entire tape ideas. Also, put your camera back in it's case after capturing. Sitting out on a desk for days at a time between shoots will cause more dust problems than going outside for a couple of hours. The little things can add up over time to be worse than periodic moderate contamination.
I'll get on Marcus' bandwagon. This is IMO where Sony fails to understand the market (maybe the corner market I live in.) I'm not Fox Channel with a 100,000,000,000,000.02 dollar budget. If I had a choice between a deck and a camera, I'd choose the camera. If I had the above budget, well, I'd buy both.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Bob, can HDV be recorded onto the larger DVCAM tapes using a deck? That might be the one benefit I could understand. The faster shuttle would be nice, but all I do is rewind once and capture the whole tape.

My 320Gig SATA Seagate with 16Meg buffer cost 90$. I'll let it take the abuse.
Yes, you can record HDV, upto 4.5 hours of it, onto those larger tapes.
Also all the HDV decks handle R50 and R60, that can come in handy too.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #26
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Also all the HDV decks handle R50 and R60, that can come in handy too.
Not very likely the vast majority of V1U owners. And, this thread was started by a V1U owner. The cost of a VTR is so high that if this was a daily issue, one could buy both a V1U and a V1E.

The POTENTIAL VTR virture is for those who log clips and batch capture and possibly batch capture again. This requires accurate time code, the ability to reliably search and find a timecode, and high shuttle-speed.

This ALSO requires batch capture be supported perfectly by your NLE. Vegas doesn't do so at all, while others like FCP claim they do, but often fail. Which makes Vegas more honest.

Before I paid for a VTR to do this, I'd want to see agreement that my NLE really supported this function were I to buy a VTR. My first generation Sony VTR and FCP 5.1.4 seem to fail many times during HDV batch capture.

PS: with HDMI capture from VTR or camcorder, there needs to be a way of controlling the device. Moreover, the frame output via HDMI must match the TC. (Or, have a realiable offset.) This is a big question for the BM folks at NAB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7