Happy with FX7 picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Happy with FX7 picture

I know this has been debated before, at least for a year now. But since I now have both an SR11 and an FX7, and have tested them both extensively (well, kinda) during the last three weeks, I'd like to give my impressions and set the record straight (for those who claimed, early on, that the SR11 beat the FX7 in picture quality).

1. The pictures from both cams is pretty close in quality, but I'd have to give the nod to the FX7. Both my SR11 and the FX7 were set on auto for most of the shoot. The pictures from the SR11 seem just a tad bit softer, with somewhat "oversaturated" colors which seemed too much. Both cams handled contrasts between shaded areas and sunny areas well, with the FX7 again having a slight edge.

2. The eye piece on the FX7 blew away the eye piece on the SR11. No contest.

3. The only area that I was a bit disappointed in the FX7 was the noise captured from my hand working the zoom, or whatever on the cam itself. The SR11 was less of a problem.

4. Weight was not a problem with either cam, since both were used extensively with tripods. Since I did not do as much hiking as I would have liked, the weight of the cams never became an issue.

Now I know that both cams can be manually fine tuned, with the FX7 having a clear edge there, but auto mode seemed to do the job pretty well with both cams.

Where was I doing these tests? Yellowstone NP and The Grand Tetons. And let me tell you, there was a LARGE variety of weather conditions to shoot in. The crappy weather, while limiting my planned activities, did provide for some unusual video opportunities. As a side note, what started as a three week vacation (shoot), was whittled down to a ten day trip, due to those lousy weather conditions. Really wanted to get up into the Tetons for some footage of scenes most people never experience. Too many clouds, moisture, and too much snow and mud on the trails (I am a wimp).

So bottom line, the FX7 provided a better (more accurate, clear, detailed) picture than the SR11 (which still did a good job).

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Picture Quality

I know years ago when I really became interested in video, I had to settle for grainy shakey picture quality and vowed to one day have a "production quality" camera. And with the camera selections we have today, we almost have too many choices in camera brands, formats, size and price. The technology has outrun the masses to keep up with usability. When I compare picture quality of my V1U to the my standard definition camera work in the past, I am blown away with the results, and if the picture was not the best, I am usually to blame for inferior camera skills.
Sorry to hear about the bad weather Mike, that can sure put a damper on activities when time is limited. And when you go to a scenic destination you always think , well I'll get it next time....and sometimes there is no next time. I bet you got some good film to enjoy and when you view it, it will flash you back to your trip. I would love to see some of it, if you get a chance to post it. Thanks Garry
Garry Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7