New FX7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #31
Major Player

For what it's worth, if you do the math (and if it's correct), the FX7 has about 52 square mm of chip area compared to 39 for the HV30.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #32
New Boot

FX7 ordered

I ordered a "demo" with a "cosmetic scratch" from B&H today. $1699 + 200 for a package with bag, tele, filters etc--things I can actually USE. And 15 days to change my mind, if problems arise with the demo. Full Sony warranty.

I want to thank you all for your carefully considered advice. I'm sure the HV30 would have worked too, but I like the ergonomics of the FX7 (which are similar to my old VX 1000) a lot more and I do feel the essential skin tones I want to capture will be better with a three chip camera. Also, I have a library of mini dv SD programs that were shot on the VX 1000 and I wouldn't want to lose quality on future transfers.

For our initial production, the camera will be on a tripod most of the time. We're experimenting with lights and reflectors--and probably some kind of soft box.

This is a very useful board. Thanks again--and a tip of the hat to those whose advice I may not have taken.
Gordon Inkeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #33
New Boot

Demo explained

BTW: B&H claims their "demo" has NOT been used to demonstrate the camera in store (these, they say, are not sold to the public), but rather it is a unit that was returned by a customer. Again, they are offering me the full Sony warranty.
Gordon Inkeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #34
Inner Circle

You're not wrong with your dimensions Buba, but the single chip vs the three chip configuration doesn't affect the dof situation at all. Same answer applies to you Victor. DoF is all about chip sizes and focal lengths needed to feed them - not about how many chips are employed.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #35
Trustee

Yeah, that's true, i should've read all posts in the thread, but it's just not practical to choose a camera based on native DOF specs, instead go with your budget, get the best you can afford, and get the 35MM adapter if you're crazy about shallow DOF
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #36
Major Player

I agree Buba. I chip area is just another factor affecting low light performance. The FX7 doesn't have the performance of the FX1 or FX1000, but compared the A1U I was using, it's great for me... Keep shooting :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7