V1U/Aliasing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Were you trying to shoot 24 p in a moving airplane and handholding the camera?,
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Here's where I really start to feel stupid.

Yes, I was shooting 24p in a moving airplane and handholding the camera.

Obviously, I've realized that I should have shot this entire project in 30p.

BUT, even my tripod 24p footage looks like this.
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #18
Regular Crew

were you on automatic gain, shutter speed, ND filters and aperture? NEVER NEVER NEVER.

just looks like you have too much contrast in the scene, and the dark sections are compressed out the ying yang while the skyline is overexposed. the camera seems to have no idea what it should be exposing for, but to be honest, it's YOUR job to tell it what to expose for.

the V1 is a sensitive camera. it needs a LOT of light and doesn't have the range of MANY other kinds of cameras, including a trusty Bolex. i ALWAYS start at zero gain, a shutter speed of 1/60 and use a Sekonic light meter. i rate the ASA at around 160.

i recommend Musburger's Single-Camera Video Production and Ascher and Pincus' Filmmaker's Handbook as good ways to begin thinking about your camera in terms of film and manual control.
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM   #19
Major Player

better yet, forget about shooting 24p unless the camera is on a tripod, and the subject is more or less stationary. 30p will work but with motion you might experience motion blur, I shot some 30p a year ago and never got any good render out of it until yesterday, I tried everything, mov files, wmv QT, until the other day I tried rendering to avi in vegas, then into flash, finally got 30p to look good where I might start shooting 30p, now I have been shooting 60i, and editing progressive, that works, with cineform as capture. here is my 30p:

HD Video everyone can afford

it will want to buffer the first time thru
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Let me back up a minute, shooting 24p has been such a problem to me that I would not shoot that way, until, I thought I would try something. I recaptured some old 24p footage thru cineform into m2t, converted to avi and edited it in Vegas. Rendered out into avi as I did with the 30p footage, and then converted to flash. This worked as well as the 30p, considering everything. My conclusion is that its not the 24p or the 30p coming out of the camera, that should be and is great from the V1. Its the capturing, and rendering, or even re-rendering that is done. I have tried every format, aspect ratio. bit rate, etc. etc, on this one piece of footage giving up many times, or just accepting the fact its crap. Even when the camera was panning or moving hand held it doesn't look like the crap I had before.

HD Video everyone can afford

big file, takes some time to load and play
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7