Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide Angle Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide Angle Lens

I want to buy a Sony VCL-HG0737Y wide angle lens for my HDR-HC1. I have some questions about it for anybody who has it.

1. Is there any distortion?

2. Can I zoom all the way through without any problems?

3. Is this worth the $140 I want to pay for it?

4. Does it reduce the quality of the video? (Will the High Definition Video still look really good?)

5. Does anyone here have a picture demonstration that shows before (w/ out lens) and after (with lens)?

Sony VCL-HG0737Y
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SKU=VCLHG0737Y
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Major Player

I have this lens and I can see no distortion whatsoever. I bought it after buying the Century Precision Optics shown here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=287710&is=REG

The Century Optics model absolutely sucked at full wide with heavy optical distortion everywhere.

The Sony model looks great. I can zoom all the way through and the image looks wonderful all through it's range. I highly recommend it.

The Century Optics costs more but it IMO it isn't even useable. I'd forgo the wide angle altogether before I'd use it.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

"The Sony model looks great. I can zoom all the way through and the image looks wonderful all through it's range. I highly recommend it."

Agreed. I bought it and I can zoom all the way through - no distortion!
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the "Y" lens and I love it. It is superior than all the other lenses I tried.

Here are some pictures I took right when I got the lens. Please excuse the poor white balance, I was in a rush.

Zoomed out, wide angle lens off:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/akarol/images/DSC00010.JPG

Zoomed out, wide angle lens on:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/akarol/images/DSC00009.JPG

Zoomed in, wide angles lens off:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/akarol/images/DSC00011.JPG

Zoomed in, wide angles lens on:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/akarol/images/DSC00012.JPG

Some of the pictures came out a tad blurry cause I probably shook the tripod a little.

Hope this helps your decision. It is definetely worth the $140 investment. It is a must for indoors as the HC1's perception is quite narrow.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

http://www.fxsupport.de/hc1/hc1_4.html

here the test of Sony VCL-HG0737Y and VCL-HG2037Y. The Sony converter are really good but in high contrast is a small Chromatic Aberration.
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Well anytime you go from a fixed lens to an adapter you theoretically must get that sort of thing. Whatever miniscule amount of distortion there doesn't bother me at all. Without the wide angle converter, this (and any camera) is just not wide enough. Indoors you can't get far enough away to frame a wide shot and outdoors, you need to get far enough away where camera shake is an issue. Also, the wide angle lens puts you up close where a shock mounted camera mic is a viable way to record audio. I love my Sony wide angle lens. It stays on the camera all the time.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I also bought the Y lens and it works flawlessly throughout all the zooms . If I have one small beef it's that now my camera feels about twice as heavy. Let me tell you why...that lens is one big chunk of beautiful glass. Point it straight up and it looks like you could fall in, the window is so large. Very nice work. But heavy. So be prepared to upgrade your tripod if you've been getting by with the little cheapy ones. There is so much weight hanging off the front (even with the 71 battery for counterweight )that if your tripod is cheap you can't pan smooth to save your life. (It just studders like a red headed stepchild.) All in all I would say go for it and yes mine never comes off my camera either.
Chaz Kempter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK. I sent the payment for it earlier today. I should expect it in about a week or two. Also, I bought a Sony VF-R37NK Neutral Density filter kit.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...uctSKU=VFR37NK

Can I put the ND filter on my camcorder, then put the wide angle lens onto the filter?
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

HC1 have Neutral Density provisions ?

Doesnt the HC1 already have neutral density filters internally ? If it does, why would you need another ?
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Neutral Density

I went to one review, and there is no indication of neutral density filters....hmmm
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

you can attach your y lens to your filter lens if you want to (most of the filters have outside threads) but remember that your y lens is quite heavy so be sure you feel good about how safe and secure it's attached. It makes me nervous.

I may be missing something here but don't you want to shoot it unfiltered and edit in your filter effects/changes later? ( so you don't limit your options.) I just think you lose a little something through each layer of filter glass. You pros might comment here on this one. I speak as a fool.

Last edited by Chaz Kempter; February 1st, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just want something to be on the camcorders' lens so it doesn't get damaged. The filter kit comes with a ND filter and a protector. I'll just always use the protector and use the ND filter whenever I need it.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

won't the wide angle lens be protecting the camcorder lens?
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM   #14
Regular Crew

If I want to ever take off the wide angle lens, I'll put on one of the filters. I'm rarely going to do this, but it's still good to have them.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The filters from SONY do NOT have outside filters. Therefore, you will lose the ability to put the wide angle lens on top of it.

However, even though there is no internal ND filter, you shouldn't need one if you're using the wide angle lens already. The lens will provide the protection you need and you can use the color settings and exposure to remove any glare that may come up.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series