Want to get my A1U out of Auto Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Want to get my A1U out of Auto Mode

Hello,

I come form the photography world and I am just starting into video. I have a Sony HVR-A1U and I have only shot it in Auto Mode straight from the box.

I know a lot about light, shutter and aperture, but not so in as much as it related to a video camera.

Any suggestions on what my next step would be to get more familiar with this little beast?

I don't do well with books, I prefer videos either online or DVD.

Chris Sgaraglino
OutdoorStudiosPhotography.com
Chris Sgaraglino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Search "Sony A1U" on YouTube. There's tons of stuff.

And learn how to white balance. I realize you hate to read, but it's in the manual.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply.
I got the DVD for the HDR-HC1 and it gave me about 70% of the features of the A1U - it's a good start.

I also have warming cards (http://www.warmingcards.com) that I use for Photography and when I got them they only have the video version.

I played a lot with them over the weekend and it seems to give me better color in some tricky situations.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Just re-read my own response. It looks a little terse. Sorry. It was not meant to be.

Hope you get comfortable with your camera. I bought a used one that I basically just use as a capture deck because I have so many tapes. But I'm shooting tapeless now... don't ever want to go back.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Major Player

No worries Charles, I did not take offense to your post.

My issue with typeless is that I can NOT use it.
Most if not all camcorders at this level use hard drives and I shoot in the mountains above 10,000 feet most all summer - sometimes as high as 14k.
Hard drives don't work above 10k - They'll lock-up and the heads will freeze the platters at these pressures.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris:

I don't know anything about cameras with hard drives in 'em. I use the Sony EX1 and EX3, both of which use SXS cards and SDHC cards. I live at 8,000' elevation (in Salida) and I routinely shoot in hot and cold environments at elevations of 11,000' to over 12,000'.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Goes to show how little I know....
I did not know that some of the higher-end cameras were able to use memory cards. Didn't think they were fast enough.

I did poke around and read a few things about you on the internet... Very impressive background.
Do you ever make it to the Springs, wouldn't mind buying you lunch some day.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Major Player

I do get down there a couple of times a month. I do a few pieces each month for KRDO. Most times I can just upload the story; but sometimes I need to go to the studio. I'd be pleased to meet with you.

Charles
http://web.me.com/mtntvguy
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series