HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I am interested in seeing you pictures of how you put a 2.5mm jack in the Sony Lanc remote. Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #17
New Boot

10-pin

I found I website the sells the 10-pin with a "special" cable

http://www.xtremerecall.com/Products...#10pin_Adapter
Tom O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

I saw that over the weekend, but is it wired for Audio and Video. What I want to do is cut the cable from the Sony controller that has a 10 pin connector on it and wire in a 2.5 mm for a standard lanc connection. I know you need to add a resistor between two wires, just not sure which two. That's why I would like to see the pictures of 2.5mm jack being added to the Sony controller.

I have all the parts, just not sure how to assemble it.

Rob
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #19
New Boot

I don't know anything about a resistor, but ...
I have rm-vd1 and rm-av2 lanc controllers for my different sony camcorders.

I cut the cable for the rm-av2, found 4 wires( red, white, black and shield).
I cut the male end off an lanc extension cable.

I hooked the tip to the white wire
center to the red
base to the shield wire.

Now the rm-av2 has both an 10-pin connector and the 3 segment male connector.

Now it controls the old camcorder and the new one.

next step is to get an 10-pin connector and add it to the older rm-vd1 lanc controller.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. From what I've found out is if you cut the cable on the RM-AV2 and you want to put on a 2.5mm jack on the end, so you can make a conversion cable, you need to put a resister between 2 of the 4 wires on the RM-AV2 cable.

Apparently this tells the video camera there is a LANC being pluged in. The RM-AV2 has the resistor between the two wires on the RM-AV2 circuit board.

I am trying to find out more detail information before I start cutting too much up.

Thanks, Rob
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #21
New Boot

resistor

From reading different post, it looks like the one of the pins on the a/v jack is "magically".
Some of the pins are inputs, some are outputs , some are both... and it looks like the pin the goes to the "B" connection of the RM-AV2 is the controller. I am guessing, by changing the voltage/signal going to this pin, the function of the other pins change.

One thing that surprised me, the lanc controller rm-av2 works with my sony hdr-sr1!

Last edited by Tom O'Brien; July 18th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #22
Regular Crew

From what I have found out, there are 4 wires in the RM-AV2 cable. You need to connect a 100k ohm resistor between the blue wire and the ground. That will configure the port for LANC control.

Rob
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #23
New Boot

Thank you.

the 100k resistor did the trick!!!!!!

My old Rm-VD1 now works using the a/v connector.

Just hooked up to video. It works too!

LANC and Video Out.... just like the cable Sony should have made!
Works with the HDR-SR1 and the HDR-SR11!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help.
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Just to let you know, I got the 100k ohm resistor info from the guys at Studio 1 Productions. They are getting ready to come with a Lanc adapter cable. The tech there said, they are having a hard time getting the 10 pin connector and so far have been making them (special order item) by cutting the cable off of the RM-AV2 and wiring a 2.5mm jack with the resistor.

He said the 10 pin AV cables don't have the wires going to the pins for the LANC. So it was either cut the cable off the RM-AV2 or go to China to have special cables made. For now they are just going to hand make them with the RM-AV2 cable, until they see what the demand is for them.

Rob
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #25
New Boot

10 pin to 3 pin

Attached is a picture of what works for me.
Lanc and video out

I think this picture is right.
Attached Thumbnails
HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC-lanc-10pin.jpg  

Last edited by Tom O'Brien; July 26th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Tom, thanks for the photo.

I was just on the Studio 1 Productions website ( http://www.studio1productions.com ) and saw they now have an adapter cable for the LANC connections that convert 2.5 mm to a 10 pin 'D" connecter. The cable is a little expensive, but they do have an explanation of why it is $69.

I did build my own, it ran me about $50, but that does not include any labor cost.

Here is what I did. I bought a RM-AV2 for $39.95 + $8.75 for shipping. I then bought the 100k ohm resistors and a couple of 2.5 mm female jacks, a few more dollars. I had a hard time finding a 2.5 mm jack that has a large enough plastic casing on it so you can put the resistor inside. It cost me $51.13 including tax and shipping, but no labor cost.
So I guess with Studio 1 charging $69 for one is not too bad.

Rob
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I made a mistake on the price of the Lanc Adapter cable from Studio 1 Productions, it is $59.00

Rob
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM   #28
New Boot

not quite what I am looking for

I'm glad to someone selling them (10-pin to "normal" lanc) ...

I want a cable that has both lanc and video out.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Tom, according to Studio 1, they are looking into other global sources (ie. China) to have a custom cable made so they can offer both LANC and Video out.

For now they do have the Lanc adapter. I made my own, for one camera and just ordered one for another camera.

Rob
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #30
New Boot

Hey,

First, thanks for the pin-outs. However, I'm having some trouble getting my adapter to work.

I've followed the pin-outs carefully and according to my multi-meter everything should be working. I soldered a 2.5mm lanc stereo jack directly to my 10-pin connector with the resistor between pins 7 and 8. I didn't use the Sony cable, I hacked apart the 10-pin connector from Chinese cable, but it shouldn't make any difference

Can anyone confirm that the picture is indeed correct?
Riku Naskali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series