lens for pmw320 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lens for pmw320

Hello,
I was wondering if a fujinon xs17x5.5BRM lens on a pmw 320 would be a big difference with the stock lens? Would it give me better low light performance or would it just be a different zoom range? The stock lens on a pmw is a xs16x5.8A XB8. Has anybody used this lens on a 320 or ex-3?
Jurgen Bauwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: lens for pmw320

Beste Jürgen,

I've had this lens on my previous camera, a Sony PDW-F350, and I was not overly happy with it. It was less sharp than an old SD lens that I had for that same camera. I have a PMW-320 now and I use two SD-lenses: a Canon YH19x6,7 KRS and a Canon YH16x7KRS. I also use a Canon wide-angle HD-lens, the Canon KH10ex3.6 IRSE. Both SD-lenses are quite sharp, except on the edges and at full tele. Also at full open aperture they do not perform very well. But with the aperture closed to 4, they are quite good. In fact, I do not see any difference in sharpness on a 42 inch monitor, between the HD lens and both SD-lenses. I must admit though that the two SD-lense breathe quite a lot and have a little more CA than the HD-lens.

I didn't buy the kit lens with the camera because I don't like the feel of the focus ring. But I'm sure it's a very good lens optically.

if you want to see the result of one of my SD-lenses on your camera, be my guest to come by and try them on. I live at the coast.

Groet uit Knokke-Heist.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Juergen,

I bought the XS-Fujinon-lens a few years ago for my PDW 330 to replace the AF-lens.
I war very content with it, but I don't use the PDW 330 anymore, so I am considering selling the lens and camera.

If you were interested in trying the lens on your PMW-320 - and buying it from me - we could meet. I live in the Cologne/Bonn region, so this would not mean much travelling.

Have a great new year und maybe see you soon ;-)

Stephan
Stephan Hubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Jurgen,

I still do have this lens for sale. You're always welcome to try it on your PMW-320.

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts