Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old January 20th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #601
Trustee

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Christopher's gamma settings are pretty sweet, although I chose MEDIUM over HIGH for standard dark blacks. If you want to see what a CX900 or AX100 looks like out of the box, select OFF for PP, and watch the lows simply vanish into darkness.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #602
Regular Crew

Oh, and does the face detail reduction happen even with face detection off but AF on?

Wonder what kind of convoluted trickery is being done in the firmware code to achieve this undesired effect. Running the raw data through the detection / AF algorithm in "series" not in "parallel" and before data compression? Cheaper processing circuit?
Tom Grushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #603
Trustee

I can't turn of facial recognition, that option is greyed out, wether I am entering the menu with the A/F on or off. I just know when I see the BOX, I should shut off the A/F. Box = softening of skin tone. But seriously, if I getting a facial lock, I don't want it to drift off, so it makes sense to turn A/F off.

Anyone know how to toggle off the facial rec feature?

Paul
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #604
Regular Crew

Hey Paul, Face Detection only works in Auto Focus mode, and only through the optical zoom range...
As soon as the camera moves into Clearview (or digital zoom) face detection is disabled.
To set Face Detection On/Off, set the camera to auto focus mode and ensure you're within the optical zoom range and the menu option will become active and you're then able to change it...
If you're in the menu and you zoom from optical to clearview zoom, you'll actually noticed the Face Detection option become greyed out...
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #605
Trustee

Thanks Rob, that worked.

Paul
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #606
Photographer

This "posterization" thing is exactly what I discovered when I demoed the first AX-100. Several people came right back and told me that they had not experienced it. I then preordered an X-180, which was a disaster right out of the box, so I sent it back. After reading some very favorable reviews on the X70 after it was released, I decided to take a flyer. I'm fairly happy with it, but, as everyone has discovered, it shares that highlight thing and you have to really be careful where and how you shoot it. I had an X-200 preordered, because Sony convinced me that that model would be the answer to my needs, but I have since decided to hold off on it because I am growing weary of being a "crash test dummy".

I know that it's apples and, well, some really rare fruit :), but I'm ordering a Red Dragon system and I'll use the X70 for plinking around.
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #607
Regular Crew

James, what were the issue(s) with the X180 if I may ask.
I'm looking at that or the X200, but I would prefer a constant iris through the zoom, which I think only the X200 offers (F/1.9)
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #608
Inner Circle

I don't think you will get constant F stop through the zoom on the X200 either Rob...My XDCAM EX3 dropped off as focal length increased in exactly the same way as my PMW-300 does.

Effectively, most of the cams in this area of Sony's range have near identical lenses mounted on the front, detachable or not. I could be wrong...
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #609
Photographer

Hi Rob,

It might not be at all indicative of the product, but mine had more issues than I could count.First, not a defect, except in design thought, was the fact that to change your shutter speed a long series of screen touches was necessary. That alone was a deal breaker for my work. The camera worked great for 30 minutes, then shut itself off, when I finally got it to come back on, menus would drop off the screen and no buttons would function. Several times, when it wasn't shutting itself off, it would refuse to shut off. I had to remove the battery to shut it down. I spent an hour on the phone with a very helpful Sony Tech, who threw his hands up and told me to return it. There happened to be a Sony Technical person at the air show that I was shooting, he looked it over and gave up after 30 minutes.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #610
Major Player

That sounds very much like a defective unit to me but on the shutter speed control it's hard to believe the control is that poor, especially for this class of camera. On my EX1R and before that the FX1(consumer variant of the Z1 HDV camera) including many of the far cheaper compact AVCHD Sony Handycams I have owned, controlling shutter speed can be done using only a knob or wheel and never on the touchscreen.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #611
Photographer

I agree. I assumed that I was missing some obvious shortcut to the shutter, but the gentleman I spent so much time with was just as surprised as we are. He researched it and called me back to say, the long and drawn out menu routine was the only way to adjust the shutter speed. I'm racing throughout the air at 200 knots, shooting a jet one minute and a propeller driven aircraft the next, that ridiculous regimen would never work. The Sony guy did tell me that the then soon to be released X200 had the shutter adjust technique that you mentioned, and so did my old XHA1, common sense.
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:21 AM   #612
Inner Circle

I had looked at the X160 as an upgrade from my NX5U but there were so many things that I did not like about the controls I did not bother. Why Sony have changed from the nice set of manual controls of the past is a mystery to me. The only thing I would like that the NX5U does not have is touch focus, newer sensors and 60P recording in XAVC. The FDR-AX1 and PXW-Z100 still have all the controls yet Sony remove them on a higher level camera !!! I am talking about buttons that immediately set you into the adjustment mode for iris, gain and shutter that are easily controlled by ring or wheel.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:21 AM   #613
Slash Rules!

well, hell. maybe a used ex1r is still the way to go unless you need 4k right now
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM   #614
Photographer

Exactly Ron. I was certain that it was just my inexperience with the camera and that there was a quick, logical work around for the settings, but the very helpful gentleman in the Sony Tech department and I, incredulously, discovered that there were no quick and logical steps. The 200 is supposed to be back to what we would expect, and I have downloaded the manual for it and believe that to be true at this point.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #615
Trustee

The JVC HM600/700/800 series have the best thought out shutter selection possible. There is a right left up down center select on the side above the switches. Up/down varies the shutter speed, and right left adjust the EV+/- when in auto. The center button toggles 1/60 set shutter off and on, so besides being able to do anything up or down manually, you can get back to 1/60 instantly at any time!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds