Upgrade SI-2K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old September 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Upgrade SI-2K

We doing the upgrade of the software
and our Recorder brake up this program

Help
Gustavo Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Gustavo.

Do you have the recovery image on a USB thumb drive?

If you do and you used it, did the camera do nothing after you switched it on? If it did nothing, you may need to make sure the first boot device is the USB port. To go into the BIOS and check the boot order, you need to have a USB keyboard to plug into the camera. When the camera first switches on, there is text on the screen which tells you which keys to press to enter the BIOS. If you are not familiar with Windows PC computers, you need to have a computer man to do this for you or send the camera to P+S to fix.

If you don't have the recovery image on a USB thumb drive and have a licence number or the serial number on front of your camera Mini head, give Silvio at P+S Technik ( silvio.liberatore@pstechnik.de ) an email or a call. He may be able to have the revised DVR v681 made available for you to download from P+S with a special password. From this you can make a USB recovery thumbdrive.

You will need FTP software to protect the download because it will be a big file. Without FTP the file might get broken

CoreFTP is a free version you can download and install.

You will need to know what capacity the camera C: drive card is. There was 2Gb and 4Gb and there was a different restore image for each type. From your serial number, P+S may be able to identify which was fitted to your camera.

From my memory, I think you need to have a USB keyboard to be able to change the BIOS to make the USB thumb drive the first boot drive the computer goes looking for when you switch it on.

The file you download has to be unzipped and copied to a USB thumbdrive. Once it is there, there is another step you have to do to is to make this USB thumbdrive drive bootable. From memory there was a readme file which told me what to do.

Once I had this bootable thumbdrive, it worked fine and restored the system. When it reboots, I think you have to remove the USB drive otherwise it goes back to restoring again. You may get first time a bad boot-up when DVR opens for the first time. Shut down and try again and it should be okay.

I think the thumbdrive also has a function where you can save an image of your system to the USB thumbdrive after you have done other things to the camera like enabling a second monitor or hdmi. I was not sure how this works and did not try it because I did not want to ruin the restore image I already had on the USB thumbdrive.

Because you are in Europe it might be better for you to phone P+S Technik and get better advice than mine as I am only working from memory here and might be wrong. It might be easier if they can send a bootable USB recovery thumbdrive to you.

If they allow you to take the processor out of the back of the camera to check the label on the C: drive card to see what type it is, be very careful with the little screw on the circuit board. This screw you have to take out to be able to slide the C: drive card out before you can read the label.

There is a little plastic pillar on the screw between the circuit board and the metal frame. It is easy to lose or forget that it should be there. If you forget and do not put it back in there, when you tighten the screw down, you will bend the circuit board and may break it. That is a very expensive damage.

I am sending a copy of my reply to Silvio to make sure I am not giving you bad advice.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 30th, 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Gustavo.

I had had some feedback from Silvio at P+S and here are some extracts from his email, which are much like what I suggested. Some of my comments were not correct.

FROM SILVIO.

"In order for me to follow up a helpdesk request, the customer has to contact me directly and he has
to give me the serial number of his equipment in first place."

"I have to check where the camera belongs to and if we are supporting him or maybe a reseller of us."

"In general, I still donīt know what his exact problem is. I assume he wants to do the (test) update on the SI-DVR 2.0."

"In order to use this 2.0 version without watermark, the mini heads have to be licensed either to 2D or 3D.

This license has to be purchased. For tests it is working properly, just the watermark (big black cross) will be visible in the recorded file as long as a non licensed head gets plugged."

"Regarding your explanation, you are kind of right but there are more BIOS setting which have to be checked, in case you want to reflash the 1.681 version."

In case this is necessary, I can provide of course a manual and the needed software. Usually every SI-2K owner got a maintenance stick provided."

"Also we do not want everybody to unscrew camera parts of course."

So your first step is to contact silvio.liberatore@pstechnik.de for help desk support. If he cannot help you directly, he will provide you with contact information for your nearest vendor.

Hope you get things fixed easily and soon.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K