Show Your Work 2008 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #451

As I watched this, the first thing that came to mind was "I dunno, Angie. Wha'da you wanna do?"
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #452
Regular Crew

Very nice work indeed.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Thanks for the good critique. I've updated the reel based on all the feedback I've recieved in the last week or so and I'll try and get around to re-uploading it for further insight shortly. Thanks.

Matthew Overstreet
Writer/Producer/Director
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #454
Major Player

Chris, Jay and John, I really appreciate your kind words!
Next time I will do a commercial, there will be English speech, lines there!

Cheers!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #455
Major Player

and what did angie reply? busy? headache?
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #456

Angie's a guy.

It's from the movie "Marty" with Ernest Borgnine. Watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #457
Regular Crew

"V" is for vending machine

There is 1 vending machine to every 23 people in Japan. They generate an annual income of around 58,000,000,000 USD.
They work extremely efficiently and reliably and they are everywhere. They sell every imaginable product. However the most popular sell soft drinks. Machines that sell adult literature are to be found in certain areas but they are few and far between!

This video (my second attempt since migrating to MC about 2 months ago) shows a few of the more unusually placed machines.

On the right side of my site's entry page are a thumbnail and 2 buttons.
The "L" button is linked to the Higher Definition version and the "S" button to the smaller, low-definition video.
The clips are encoded for Flash.
I am always open to constructive criticism........
Regards,
Douglas

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #458
Wrangler

No criticism here, so I hope you’re also open to a little praise. This is one of the more entertaining videos I’ve seen on the board. I laughed and laughed at your comments—very well-written and well-placed within your video! You gave me a light-hearted and interesting glimpse of Japan that made me quite glad I took the time to watch.

Thanks for making my day brighter, Douglas. I love your sense of humor and look forward to more videos from you!
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #459
Major Player

Fool's Day Coal

Hello,

This is my first time posting in this section so please be gentle.

I shot this with an HV20 (alas, with the camera mic) and edited with Edius. This is the first time I've used leading audio edits and I think it worked well. There is one 'regular' cut that I think worked well--I'm curious if anybody can spot it. I'm not a big fan of music in my train videos; I'd rather let the trains do the talking.

This vimeo version plays jumpy on my computer--I'm curious if its just my computer or something in the compression. I exported it as h.264 as per vimeo's instructions.

Its about 11:30 long so I hope it holds your interest throughout. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/861424
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #460
Major Player

That's some nice train footage. Did you shoot it in 24 or 30F or in 60i?

There were only one or two spots where it was slightly jumpy playing on my computer.

Looking at this footage, it reminded me of stock footage. Are you familiar with www.revostock.com ? I think you could sell some of your footage there if you wanted to.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #461
Major Player

Thanks!

60i. I steadfastly hold to the notion that we should be using MORE fps not less. Although I have been grudgingly playing with 24 because I need more light input for what I'm working on now.

Ya really think they'd buy footage from an HV20?
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #462
Trustee

So how many were there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Hello,

This is my first time posting in this section so please be gentle.

I shot this with an HV20 (alas, with the camera mic) and edited with Edius. This is the first time I've used leading audio edits and I think it worked well. There is one 'regular' cut that I think worked well--I'm curious if anybody can spot it. I'm not a big fan of music in my train videos; I'd rather let the trains do the talking.

This vimeo version plays jumpy on my computer--I'm curious if its just my computer or something in the compression. I exported it as h.264 as per vimeo's instructions.

Its about 11:30 long so I hope it holds your interest throughout. Enjoy!

And I found it played a bit jumpy too - but I was using any old PowerBook G4.

Keep it up. We consider 20 wagons a long train here.

http://vimeo.com/861424
I kept trying to count the coal wagons, but I got to about 30 twice and you cut!!

Some very nice shots - I particularly like the one at exactly 10 mins in where the train runs along the bottom of the screen. I am not sure however that we should be watching you finish a shot, point the camera towards the ground and start to return to the car (5' 55"), or polish the lens because it's wet (9' 08"). Now this may be either because I'm jealous that you are younger and more handsome than me or because your footage would benefit from just a teeny bit more editing - you decide.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #463
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
I kept trying to count the coal wagons, but I got to about 30 twice and you cut!!
Sorry, but even I think that an entire train of the same thing is too much. There were probably about 60 cars. And even then, they need to split the train in two in the Kenai mountains.

Quote:
I am not sure however that we should be watching you finish a shot, point the camera towards the ground and start to return to the car (5' 55"), or polish the lens because it's wet (9' 08").
I liked the 'return to car' shot when I was editing. Now, I think I agree with you. I still like the 'wipe the lens' to bring a little more 'flavor of the day' (read--nasty). I also like it because it is unexpected.

And its funny, I tried the same trick you mentioned at 10 minutes earlier at 6' and, neither one is perfect, I liked the first one better.

Thanks for your comments and I'd like to thank everyone for watching!
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #464
Tourist

Looking for input on my newest music video

Hey all, I believe this is one of the very few posts I have put up on this site. Well I have a music video that I really pushed myself on. It is by no means perfect. As a matter of fact I had tons of glitches with Final Cut Studio 2 because I borrowed it from a friend, and couldn't update it. OMG the bugs! I finally purchaed it and hope the next project will be better. Also this is the first time working with Final Cut Studio 2, and on a mac, I was a PC guy. So I had plenty of hurdles to over come to get this far.

But I'd really like to hear some feed back, even feedback of things you didn't like.

Trust me when I say this is not perfect. Even my part of the concept for the video is flawed. I messed up the storyline in the second verse, which really messes up the flow overall. But again please don't hold yourself back. Some constructive criticism would be really appreciated. Cant trust your family to be that honest...lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GJWnAFIhk

Last edited by Mike Eshaq; April 19th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Mike Eshaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #465
Regular Crew

"V" is for vending machine

Thanks for letting me know I could make you laugh, Linda.

I have always found it a rewarding challenge to try and find the interesting and amusing side to everyday things - and capture it on video.

Japan has so many everyday things that are just begging to be filmed.

If you have time look deeper into my site under "Gallery"..... you will find quite a lot of interesting and sometimes amusing stuff.

Regards,
Douglas

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work