Music Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gast View Post
Calm down guys, lol.

Can't we all just hug and get along?
I'm up for a group hug.

Cheers,

Liam.
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Trustee

It is all semantics, I was giving practical advice that if someone was there that had a grey shirt on, he could balance to that. I was not giving technical advice.

As far as irony, not sure what you mean but I have shot DV since the day the VX1000 was released in the US in 1996. I have shot well over 5000 hours on the DV format alone since then.

No need to split hairs, I think Daniel has some info to help him.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So why would anyone not use the "frame" mode if it's just fine for everything except transfering to PAL, which isn't something I plan on doing anytime soon. So...why would I use the regular mode anyway?

Thx.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Major Player

<<So...why would I use the regular mode anyway?>>

There are many reasons not to use Frame mode all the time; some applications don't call for the 30P (or "faux-30P") look, which is very different than 60i or "regular" mode on the GL1/GL2. The technical as well as abstract differences between 60i/24P/30P/frame mode have been discussed many times on these boards, so a little searching will dig up good discussions.

There are no rules but there are certainly established conventions, and while you don't have to follow them it can help you to be aware of them.

My suggestion is to shoot lots of footage in both modes, look at it, and note the differences; it'll become clear that different modes and different frame rates lend themselves to certain things.
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gast View Post
So why would anyone not use the "frame" mode if it's just fine for everything except transfering to PAL, which isn't something I plan on doing anytime soon. So...why would I use the regular mode anyway?

Thx.

The regular mode will give you that live news, soap opera, look. This is good for many things, sports, live music, events, etc. but the progressive mode gives you a different feel, like you are observing something that has already taken place. 30P is much more subtle than 24P however. Just try it out, I bet you will like the look.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've shot in 60i and 24p, never 30p though. And I know exactly what you mean about the "soap-opera" look. Long before I ever knew anything about filmaking, there were a trio of films in a trilogy, and it's obvious they got more budget as they went on. I honestly can't remember what they were called (I recall them being decent though...)

The first one looked like a soap-opera, and I never thought anything of it until I saw the second one. It just "looked" different. That's how I tried to explain it to people. It looked "different". lol

Of course, nowadays I've experimented and seen a lot of footage from everywhere and have a handle on the differences :)

So the "frame" mode is, simply, a 30p mode? Interesting. I will check it out and see how I like it.

Of course, I rarely use the GL-1, it's just the most easily accessible camera to me. I more often use a DVX100b (which I'm fond of...) and we actually have one day of shooting under our belts on some Sony 1080i HD cam...not sure which one.

I'll be sure to post this latest short when it's finished, but we have one more weekend of shooting then who-knows-how-long to edit, score, and do post work on it.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys :) I really do appreciate it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work