Going to try and do TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Going to try and do TV

Well after all the years of practice, learning, reading... I have finally decided to give it a try. Would like some feedback on

1. Cinematic performance
2. Technical Attributes

3. And most importantly, would you watch the show.

Thanks everyone for the help

Jim

http://www.sfgmedia.com/video/firstdraft.mov

Oh yea, you might want to jump across all the placeholders!
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, I liked the images and the visuals. The narrator didn't do it for me. I think the voice didn't match to the images maybe. It's hard to put my finger on, maybe it's just me. I kept thinking of the old wild kingdome by mutual of omaha for some reason, but that's good (spet i didn't see anyone in shorts crawliung around on their knees).

I'd at least pause on it while flipping through the channels. I'm not a big fan of fishing shows (maybe it's because alot of them are rather boreing). But I could deffintly see this type of show on OLN (outdoor life network)or the travel channel.

hope that helps a bit.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim

Appreciate your response, but one thing struck me, what is so boring about fishing shows? Maybe I can overcome that with this show, I am sure if one person feels that way a lot do.

I have lived my professional life by the creed: "Ask the customer what he wants to buy then sell it to him"

Jim
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, lets see. The first thing that hits me about fishing shows, is they break a major rule of cinema (which might not help) Show, don't tell. I think alot of the shows have reqular people on it who say "I'm goin to cast near that log cause fish like logs" and then they do. Now this isn't their fault, thats how we all act.
But I'd like to see more purpose in hearing the host or the fishing guys talking. Maybe telling about the type of fish and alittle about the surroundngs or something. I'm a big one for history and science, so any extra infomation that's not obviouse on the screen would be a good start.

I also thing that it's boring to me cause I'd much rather be fishing then watching some one else do it. Thats just me, I don't watch sports becaus ei'd rather tyr it then watch it (well, sept sumo).

So maybe I'm not the target audiance. But I would watch a show about fishermen who travel around, tell you about where their going, what it's like there and what is going on, fishing could enter into it at some point.

But I think as far as fishing shows go, you did a good job. Your video is much more inturesting then the typical "two guys in a boat in alabama" shows. So keep working!
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jim, my only criticism is that the narration slows the pace of the show down to an unbearable grind.

It's not so much his voice but his pacing and rather monotone nature of his delivery.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM   #6
New Boot

What camera did you use??

Thanks
Gene Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys, doing auditions as we speak for new voice talent.

Gene, cameras? Lets see it started with a GL1, then Dvx100 but most of the stuff and all the future stuff will be with an FX1 equipped with a Sony wireless and gyro stablizer for handheld shooting on the deck and a Z1 with a shotgun and Audio Technica wireless mounted on a tripod on the bridge.

I use 4 lenses mounted to the boat and wired to Sony decks for B Roll footage.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Trustee

The production value in general should be good enough for the down the dial networks but the implementation needs work. I dont like the narrator at all nor the narration. Mixing the first person, "then we landed here" with the factual information, "the first boat ever to sail..." is confusing. If the narrator is truly one of the adventurers, it should be an interview where you cut to him every once and a while. I dont mind the narrator approach but I would make it a third party observer and pace it a lot quicker. It currently feels like one of the loops in a hotel room wanting you to go on a fishing adventure. Check out interactivevoice.com, there is amazing talent there.

You do have a groundwork for a good show but in my experience, you have one shot with people and I dont think what you have is your best shot. Keep the faith though!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Go for it!

Fishing shows may be boring to those who do not fish, but for those who love to fish they seldom are.

As you continue the development, you need to have someone like yourself who is identifiable with the series do at least part of the narration. You would be perfect for this! Good strong voice and great sense of humor. In the vein of Capt. Norm Issacs's "Big Game Fishing the World." He talks too much though! Crew and angler interaction is very important also and in a series people start to get comfortable with having familiar faces. You can get many guest anglers and maintain a steady relationship with the audience by having a few regulars.

You have the capability to get some big names as guests, and that would draw the attention of audiences and sponsors. You will probably be the one to find your own sponsors, that is how it usually works I think?!?!?!

There is another gentleman on this forum, Capt. Ben Chancey, who has had a fishing series on TV. The show was called "Chew On This," I believe and I'll get you his email address. If have never seen the show, you missed a real treat. No billfish, just snook, grouper and such, but HUGE fish and funny as hell. Ask him to send you a copy of the show where he had this big friend of his fighting a 300+ pound Goliath grouper on a reel locked down with 80 lbs of drag, and the guy is standing in a bay type boat!!!! One of the funniest things I have ever seen!

You have the technical side of this down, and you are the best I've ever seen with the graphics and such, no problem there! Throw in a little of the technical side of the sport, rigs, set-ups, rod handling, wiring of the fish, etc. etc., and human interaction and you have it made. Where the boat is at you have no problem hooking fish, and that makes it much easier!

I do like the narrators voice, but it more suitable for a hunting video. People want a younger sounding and energetic voice right now. I guess more adrenalin charged.

I think you should go for it Jim!

Mike
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The narrator has to go. Seems like a great "storyteller", but his voice / elocution / diction / accenting is all wrong for this show. I agree, he does really kill the pace and the mood.

That being said, the camera work and editing is pretty darn good ... definitely worthy of a fishing series. I only fish RARELY with my father when I visit him ... mainly just to get time to "shoot the breeze" and small talk - I don't get to see him much and fishing seems to be about the only past time of his where I can get his mind off of yard and housework, working for his church, his community functions, etc. Its the only time he seems to relax and really speak his mind, so, I go along with him enthusiasticly (though I don't like fishing). I don't watch fishing shows on a regular basis, but I have seen quite a few and your imagery is definitely better than what I am use to seeing.

I honestly think this has great potential, but find a different narrator.
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #11
Trustee

I could not open this clip...have you removed it? I tried to find it on your website, but no joy.
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #12
Major Player

Goin' throw up

The first two episodes are on the way to the programming director. Now all I have to do is figure out advertising rates, billboard rates, show sponsorship rates, where to find all these people willing to pay the rates, music cue sheets, closed captioning, DMA Maps, Subscriber Analysis by Nielsen.

And I thought editing was tough. I think I will head back down to Panama and go fishing; Spot the offer still stands.

Thanks for all the help and encourgement.

Jim Montgomery
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work