Show Your Work 2003 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #46
Obstreperous Rex

"Yeah, it's kind of hard getting a job when your only skill is memorizing facts from Animal Planet."

Bruce, I thought it was great. A perfect example of my favorite kind of storytelling with video, the do-it-yourself variety. You had me, I wanted to know what was up with these people, what was in the box, etc. Shows that all you need for a good short film is a story. Nice example, inspirational, anybody can do this if they have a campfire story to tell. It's what I love about DV. Well done,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback, it really means a lot.

One of the things about showing it to folks who know the actors personally is, you don't know if they are laughing because they think things are funny, or if they are just laughing at their friend(s) acting crazy. That's why I like these boards...

There are a lot of inside jokes in there, about Animal Planet (Dude where's my car), Twin Peaks (the DVD he impossibly puts in his pocket), Kirstin Dunst, New in Box Teddy Ruxpins, etc., so I didn't know how accessible it would be.

The writing was actually something we didn't spend too much time planning. We just went with the moment, kind of improv, for a lot of it. Seems like the stuff we spent a lot of time on didn't matter, and the stuff we didn't spend a lot of time on would have benefitted from more effort. Live and learn!

Cheers
[bac]
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #48
Major Player

heh

Pretty cool, and good work.......

You could hang out with my oldest son and his friends for sure.
Lately they have been using his friends (their parents) Radio Shack, conveyance mart, and Thai food restaurant for locations that are right up your alley!

Again, good work and it's also good to see how well you documented it on your webpage.
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Heh, heh, heh... gotta watch the movie if you want to know how it all ends;-)

When I edit actions sports trailers, I consider each landing a period and the action a sentence. If I don't include the landings, the trailer feels like it keeps it's forward momentum.

The audience keeps waiting for the landing, but it never comes, leaving them unbalanced and careening forward. The end graphics catches their fall and props them back up before dusting them off and letting them go on their merry way.

Looks like we have a lot in common. I still surf when I can get to Hossegor. I've got my trusty mountain bike gathering dust here in mountainous Paris. I haven't snowboarded for years, and finally just threw away my practically new snowboard because the edges turned to rust!

http://advaloreminternational.com
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #50
Wrangler

Yeah, I thought the graphics were really well done! Which NLE did you use to cut it?

I don't throw my old snowboards out, I save them for dirtboarding in the summer! It's been 10 years since I surfed last, but I kept my board for sentimental reasons.
Old January 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #51
Major Player

RESHOOTS RESHOOTS RESHOOTS...

PICKUPS PICKUPS

Hitting walls, not enough coverage...

Working on solutions...

Cheers!

Learning very fast...
Old February 3rd, 2003, 07:34 PM   #52

Follow the production process

In the event anyone might be interested in following the production process of "Lost Horizon," you can visit the site at http://www.gooddogproductions.com/WebSB/LH_home.htm.

Actually, the idea to attempt this exercise grew out of a conversation with John Locke. I realize this is not the first site of its kind, but it will be a first for us here at Good Dog Productions.
Old February 4th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I used Cinestream 3.1 for the live action and the vertical and horizontal movements. This was then exported into Adobe After Effects for compositing with the graphic & 3D elements.

I know what you mean about keeping your board for sentimental reasons. I have one that's almost two decades old. I still ride it! It's a board that isn't my best board, but it works in any surf conditions.

By the way, I was in Vancouver a couple of years ago to pitch a children's educational TV series at the World Education Market. You live in a paradise... if only the water weren't so cold. I've never had better seafood than in Vancouver. Everything closes a bit earlier, but I had a great time.

http://advaloreminternational.com
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #54
Wrangler

By the way, I was in Vancouver a couple of years ago to pitch a children's educational TV series at the World Education Market. You live in a paradise... if only the water weren't so cold. I've never had better seafood than in Vancouver. Everything closes a bit earlier, but I had a great time. -->>>

Shhh.... Keep it a secret!
The water is cold, but it might be one of the only places on earth you can go windsurfing in the morning, have an afternoon golf game, then go snowboarding in the evening. When it's not raining that is... ;)
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #55
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

bold way to raise $ ?

here's a bold concept. need $$ for your project - just ask persons to send you a gift thru paypal !!!

www.loveproducer.com

this was a project i was working on till it changed directions. it started as a real Doc .. but changed to a docuDrama.

the interviews were shot on GL1 ( frame mode) .... the dramatic on betaSP ..

YES they did have legal advice on the concept of asking for $$ over the web.
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #56
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Don,
Indeed, there's absolutely nothing illegal for asking people for voluntary contributions as long as you make it abundantly clear that (1) the contributor will receive absolutely nothing in return, and (2) you are not any type of a charity.

Still, you should note that compliance with these basic rules will not stop some eager beaver from potentially filing some spurious, expensive civil suit against you.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #57
Wrangler

Hmmm... Don, any idea of how much money (if any) people donated?
Old February 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #58
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

don't know if they recieved any "gifts" ... you have to figure that friends, relatives will do it 1st THEN ???

the site just started running on sunday ( hi band is up ... low band is still coming on line ) ... last friday they fedX press kits ( print material , photos , beta Sp tape ) to all media ( cnn, cbs, nbc, fox, upn, entertainment tonight etc ) so those arrived this AM .. now it's ??? if any will do a story ... in SF bay area all newspapers, all TV stations, some radio stations all received press kits.
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #59
Regular Crew

yep, i recall a woman here in the US. she had like $30,000+ in credit, loans, etc. she made a website asking each visitor to donate $1.00. I do believe in the end she made enough to pay off all her debt and had a nice chunk left over.
Old February 11th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #60
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed, this has become popular...

since that "Save Karyn" girl tried the stunt (successfully, as Matt noted).

Here's a Feb. 11, 2003 Chicago Tribune article on the general subject: "'Cyber-begging' sites popping up on Web"

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work