Finished my 22 minute short film "Red Ribbon". Watch it! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 15th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Marlon,

I really dig the film man!

Alot of positive things have already been said about your film, and I agree with them. One thing I don't agree with is the 'it's too slow-paced' comment many people have made. If you look back on the classic filmmakers that have inspired so many of us; Kubrick, Hitchcock, Welles, Fellini, Leone, and my favorite, Cassavettes, you will notice they all sloooooow it down. They don't move quickly through the plot. They let us dwell on images or sounds, or someones expression. Cassavettes was brilliant with this.

Look at Cassavettes 'Opening Night'. The time spent on Gena's character, her expressions, and her paranoia take the film to another level. Other films like Notorious, 8 1/2, Rebecca, Lolita, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of A Chinese Bookie, etc. etc. etc. are all great examples of pacing.

My point here is let the film develop. Let the characters unfold. Don't be afraid to stay on a characters face or an important moment. You're sharing something with us while we watch your film. I want to see what you are showing me, what you are saying, not how much or how fast you can move through it in 90 min.

Keep up the good work!
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Good movie.

I'm kinda let down that you didn't want to enter it into festivals. It would have a nice chance if you guys got a composer to work his music in there and take out the copywritten stuff.

You got a good thing going, I can't wait to see more of your stuff.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #33
Major Player

Daniel: Thanks for the in-depth review :) You can't imagine how much I appreciate someone taking the time to write about my little flick :)

Joe: I couldn't agree with you more, my filmmaking is heavily inspired by kubrick and hitchcock as well as asian filmmakers like zhang yimou and wong kar wai, they are notorious for their "slow" pace movies :) but I love every second of them.

Travis: Don't rule it out, If I can get a decent composer to come close to what I had in mind, then you never know :)
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #34
Major Player

Guys, Red Ribbon film will be debuting at my schools film festival tomorrow! wish me luck!
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I've watched the first few minutes (it's loading still) and I really thought it was awessssome!

The whole look and feel of the movie felt like a Wong Kar Wai movie, even without the music (at least the first ribbon scene and credits did, I haven't seen the rest ya know).

Some questions: How did you get the forground to be in focus and the background to be out of focus? (Scene where he is cutting the ribbon I think)
Also, how did you compress it?

Anyway, things like this really inspire and scare me about going to a film school. Simply awesome, I'm excited about seeing more of your work later.
James OClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #36
Major Player

James: I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I can get decent DOF with my XL2 by zooming in close to subject. I compressed it using H.264 codec, it kinda loses some of the colors vibrance but i think it looks the best.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Torres
James: I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I can get decent DOF with my XL2 by zooming in close to subject. I compressed it using H.264 codec, it kinda loses some of the colors vibrance but i think it looks the best.
Do you know if what program you use makes a difference as long as you are using the same compression? I compressed my movie using H.264 and it looked horrible.

Also noticed that your file is 300mb, crazyness.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #38
Major Player

I just used quicktime pro, yes my file is huge mainly because i didnt compress the music (which i probably should). just be sure to set ur settings as best quality and it should turn out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OClaire
Do you know if what program you use makes a difference as long as you are using the same compression? I compressed my movie using H.264 and it looked horrible.

Also noticed that your file is 300mb, crazyness.
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work