Please review my shorts. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 26th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please review my shorts.

Hi, my name is David Chao. If you have some free time, could you please take a look at couple of shorts that I recently made and provide me with some constructive feedback? I don't claim to be a film maker by any stretch (yet) but I WOULD like to improve. Specifically in the area of story telling. Here's the link:

http://www.studiotigers.com/films/

Thanks in advance!

David
David Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2
New Boot

I really enjoyed "Damn!". Very funny and some really nice shots.

Bravo.
Kirill Bichutsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I liked them both! Thought they were very funny, you are good with visual storytelling, both shorts were coherent and entertaining. I recommend you continue and let your ambition grow.
Andres Bant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi.

I really enjoyed DAMN!
I thought it was well told and very funny...

Great job
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Enjoyed both films very much.
I thought that "Damn" was an object lesson in using a tripod - the pictures have an immediate authority that handheld cameras just can't approach.
Good selection of camera angles with an eye to the editing - you obviously understand film theory and grammar very well.
I wish you luck - and please carry on to make some more films!

Regards,

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank so much for watching my shorts and for your feedback. I have a couple more ideas for short films that I'm trying to plan. When done, I'll post them here again. This is definitely a lot of fun and I really want to get better. Thanks again!

David
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Oh, and using the tripod was actually because I didn't have any other resources available at the time. Just me, my dog and a volunteer I met at the park (the girl in one shot) My dog is pretty smart but it might take some time for her to learn how to operate a camera...

David
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by David Chao : My dog is pretty smart but it might take some time for her to learn how to operate a camera...
-->>>

Why not make THAT a future project? Seriously!

Mount the camera on her collar and block scenes according to the dog's point of view.

It will be a bit chaotic and random as the dog will most likely "aim" the lens at chair legs and walls and not on the actors, but then just have the actors rush over to whereever the lens happens to be pointing - and everyone would get a workout doing all that running around.

Actually, if using 2 or more actors, the job would be easier if the dog DOP were put in the middle, between the actors. That way you'd increase the chances of having a person in the shot at any given time and if the camera were shooting dead space, only one of the actors needs to move into the shot instead of all of them.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The "Dog CAM". Good idea... I'll have to work that in some how!

David
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #10
New Boot

David:

Both of your shorts were well written, well filmed and entertaining. I *loved* "Damn".. it gave me just the "sinking feeling" you were working for. Keep at it!

Nancy
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #11
Trustee

Do the Dog cam with a dummy weight first! The first couple of runs could damage the camera as the dog tries to rub it off! ;)

Also, I was laughing before I started to look. The thread title was funny too. "Please review my shorts". Sounds like a plumber's crack video. ;D
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Just saw both shorts. Damn was funny. A quick comment on Bingo

could compress time a bit by cutting out a lot of the walking shots - yea I know, you are never sure how much 'walking shots' to add in so that audiences will follow the action, but trust me, if you show a guy walk around the corner and edit it with him going inside a builing, audiences won't notice.

good job
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Young-H. Lee, thanks for the feedback! And you're exactly right. You are never really sure how much you can actually cut out and still have a cohesive story... I'm still working on that.
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

David, I really enjoyed both of your shorts... very good directing and editing. I especially liked the irony in the endings of both. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thank you for the compliments, Darrell! Right now, I'm saving up to purchase a Panasonic DVX100A and when I get it, I'll definitely be making more short films!

Thanks again!
David Chao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work