Look At Me - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #16
Major Player

Dood! thats some great work!

The video was really good, I really appreciate "Dad" hehe he's a good actor (god i hope he was acting)

Choice, looks pretty good so far, fight scene was INTENSE, Great cinematography, congratulations!

What NLE?
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Colin, you wanted feedback. Here ya go. :)

I was pretty pleased to see a decent music video made by someone my age. Very good. Only a few things to pick at.

You have a video composed of band footage, that crosses between a story concept. The beginning of these types of videos are important to have set up the feel for both parts. If I were doing it I probably would have had a couple more shots of the story between each swinging light closeup... quickly though.

Close up of the singer, cuts to the kid standing looking cold or numb in the mirror, maybe spins his head to the side fast like he heard something disturbing in the kitchen. Cuts back to second closeup of other band member. Then after, goes back to seeing the mother screaming at the guy. Another close up, then back to him swinging at the beer bottles in the kitchen and looking at the mom. Last close up, and he swings and hits the lady. Just as his fist hits.. back to band shots where their energy is high.. that way the hit climaxes the viewer's emotions then takes that energy and converts it into the band's energy.. creating a "kick in".

As far as the story line, good concept if done well. You did it well. I just thought it could have maybe been more chronologically ordered. In the beginning of it you cut strait to the lady on the ground with some guy dripping beer onto her. Then after more band footage, you see the same lady up and about, arguing with the dad... but without a wet face or shirt or anything. Seemed out of order. Maybe intentional, but from the viewer's standpoint it may have needed the order to make sense. Everything else, I liked. Maybe could have used a farther away shot for when the kid's being drug outside. Just one. Probably best placed somewhere halfway between what seemed to be a bit of a long "being dragged" shot.

Durring the band shots, there were a couple things I felt didn't carry the momentum of the feel for the song. When it's a side view head closeup of the singer.. he seems to step forward then sway back. Other shots.. might have been good.. for the closeups, it would have been better to see I think him.. not sway back, but to keep walking forward. That's just me being very picky, though. :)

Lighting was great, execution was great. Story idea, cool. Beginning, alright. Middle, energetic and emotional.. good. Ending, loved the panning out for the very last shot, good.

Camera work.. great for some parts.. alright for others.. some things in there I would have liked to see more steady. Like when the guy is moving towards the lady that's down on the floor.. and he picks up the bottle. I would think a steadicam or some other form of personal stabilization device would be a solid investment for your works in the future... which I look greatly to seeing more of. Congratulations on the job well done.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

thanks for the positive comments!!

Yeah its not in chronological order on purpose. This came about in the editing process as the original treatment was in order. For me, it just worked better to start the broll in media res.

I really enjoy reading your feedback. Very constructive, its helping me keep inspired while i write more treatments for another music video i hopefully am going to do for the same band, DRIST.

I use ULEAD media studio pro to edit. ULEAD makes great products, completely overlooked by the profesional community.
They also treat there costumers very well. They saw "5 minutes" at a videomaker magazine expo and gave me ULEAD studio quartet for free.... its work 1k! and there is an article they wrote about my work that is on there website. http://www.ulead.com/userstory/msp/colinM.htm (artlcle is a bit cheesy)
Colin Minihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

I'm another teenager who loves to do this filmmaking thing, but I'm obviously nowhere near the levels you guys are at. The advice in this thread has been great and Colin, your video's have been very inspiring. I was especially blown away by your music video, which I can easily see playing on MTV (and being just as good, if not better, then most of the videos that they are currently showing).

I hope to maybe keep in contact with a few of you, since the filmmaking population in my community is non-existent, and I found it very helpful and interesting to see what others my age were doing with video.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work (especially you Colin, I loved what I saw) and look out for possible e-mails from me, lol. Hopefully I won't bother you guys too much =)

- Chris Yi
Chris Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #20
Regular Crew

THANKS MAN!

Email me whenever, ill be glad to help out with whatever it is you want to know.

smileyfilms@hotmail.com
Colin Minihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Never a bother. Too bad you don't seem to hold the videos playing on Mtv right now in high esteem. I made a couple that are airing.

Email, anytime kevin@kmdstudios.com

Colin, looking forward to the next Drist video, and if you want any feedback/advice on a treatment for extra input before you take it to production, email me.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Colin. I somehow came across your web site late last summer. Great work! I love all the action in your movies. The Drist video was excellent. I have yet to see the full version of Choice though...
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM   #23
Regular Crew

yeah, i cant fit choice on my site... its a 65 minute movie....

sorry about that.
Colin Minihan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work