Best lanc controller for XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch
I must be the only one using this zoom controller on the XL2 I assume. Can anybody recommend a zoom controller that doesn't have this inconsistent jump in zoom speed when ramping from the slowest crawl on up? Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin,

I have a Varizoom also, and it does the same thing. It depends on the circuitry that is used in it. Old style rheostats used coil wire to vary current, by resistance, to the device it was controlling, and these were fairly consistent as long as contact was maintained during the slide of the contact along the coil.

These probably have some sort of electronic control that obviously require minor steps, I counted two "jumps" during my test.

I very seldom use a varied zoom in a single movement, one zoom, so have not had a problem.

Someone would have to test their brand to lets us know it is the same. I would assume that a much more expensive unit would be smoother, perhaps the other Varizoom model with the knob to adjust the speed, as that big knob is probably a true rheostat. A call to Varizoom would probably get you the information.

I hope that this helps.

Mike
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Mike. I sent Varizoom an email as well, no response yet.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #18
Major Player

I have the VZ-PG-L as well. I have not noticed the ramp up - but, is probably because I don't vary the speed control knob that much. I merely adjust the zoom speed to find a consistent zoom speed I want, and zoom in and out. I will probably go back tonight and test it out for the speed jumps and feedback to you folks.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I tested the Stealth and Rock for a British magazine (Computer Video) and found both controllers unuseable on any Sony camera I tried them on (VX2k, PDX10, TR2000, TRV900). Why? because the controllers inched the zoom forward in little steps at the slowest setting, even doing so with no fingers on the rockers. I certainly hope Varizoom have sorted out that fiasco.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

VZ-Rock and the XL2

Does anyone know how well the VZ-Rock works with the XL2? I just bought one, plugged it in, turned the camera on, and.......NOTHING! The LED flashed for about 3 seconds and then it stopped. Does anyone else use one on the XL2? I might mention that I have the Anton Bauer brick powering my camera, and I put a dead battery on it. When I powered up, the camcorder wouldn't turn on, and that's when my troubles began. I don't see how that could have shorted something out. Any help would be appreciated...
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #21
Major Player

I have the VZ-ROCK. Like all wired accessories, I would plug it in first, then turn the camera on. It will put the camera in standby, as well as bring it out; start/stop recording; zoom in or out. It can't focus the lens in manual, however, as is stated in the literature. I can't recall trying the frame controls. I only wish the zoom rocker had some more tactile feeling when in use.
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks

Doug, I had it plugged in first, but the battery I put on it was nearly dead--not even enough power to turn the camera on--unless there actually WAS enough power but the VZ Rock tripped something up. I still don't see why a LOW battery would damage circuitry. If you had the option for exchanging the VZ Rock...would you? For what?

PS: I'm a Franklin nut and I loved your qoute
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #23
Major Player

No problems to speak of.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Sounds like a faulty VZ-Rock, maybe. Have you used the LANC jack before for anything else?

I had a VZ-Rock for a while, but I got the VZ-ProL instead. It has the best control over a steady zoom, just like the XL2 with the continuous zoom setting and the variable dial.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Lanc

Yeah I bought the Canon ZR 2000 and it worked fine, except for the fact that that the focus buttons didn't work...I sent it back for the VZ Rock instead. Straight out of the box, it came on for 5 seconds, then shut off. I hope it's not internal on the XL2...
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Same Problem

I just received my second VZ-Rock today (the first one never worked at all), and I have the same jiddery zoom effect. I'm sending mine back for a Manfrotto. And this was on the XL2...
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:05 PM   #27
Major Player

So it looks like Varizoom quality control is going down the drain, eh? I found my older one does not work so well with XL2 as well.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:37 AM   #28
Inner Circle

This is the one I bought in the end, and it works flawlessly. It even controlls the 'push auto' focus button remotely.

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/zoedvlanc2.php

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM   #29
Major Player

I think its worth noting that the Zoe DVL which Tom refers to above has dropped substantially in price earlier this year, and is now available at B&H Photo also.
- currently priced at $234 (as opposed to the higher figure Ken mentioned in his 2004 Article/review) :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=272712&is=REG
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Good News -- Bogen 521

If you're considering a LANC controller for your XL2, save yourself the troubles and read this first. I was in the market for a LANC controller for my XL2, and spent months researching which one to buy. First, I ordered the ZR-2000 (made by Canon) because I liked all of the features it provided ($399). When it arrived, I was dissappointed because the rocker was very "consumer feeling" and half of the features of the ZR-2000 aren't supported by the XL2--so I sent it back. I then got the VZ-Rock LANC ($260), due mainly to the looks of the rocker switch and the rave reviews here on this site (apparently reviews made by people who do not own XL2s). I was excited when it arrived, and couldn't wait to try it out--plugged it in, turned my XL2 on, and walla--NOTHING. Now I had faith in this awesome looking lense controller, so I exchanged it for a new one. When I got the new one in, I was just as excited as before, and I was VERY careful to follow ALL instructions prior to testing it out. When I turned the camera on, I was excited to see that the VZ-Rock's LED lit up--"YES!! it works," I thought to myself. But when I tried to zoom, it did it in steps (real jerkey) like I was snap zooming my camera. "What the..., I can't get a single smooth zoom out of this thing" (and no the zoom ring was not touching anything) Now I'm seriously considering whether or not an internal fuse blew on my camera, but I was persistant and sent my 2nd VZ-Rock back for a Bogen 521 ($169). I just got it in today, and let me tell you--it works like a charm; I really love this thing. It's just the basic Bogen 521, and that's all I need. Relief at last!!!
The moral of the story is this: I went from a $400 piece of crap, to TWO $260 pieces of crap, to a wonderful $170 machine that gets the job done. Although it cost me over $60 dollars in shipping costs and over 40 days without a funtioning LANC, my patience was well rewarded. So save yourself some time and money, and go with Bogen if you're using the XL2 (I cannot speak for other cameras).
Can any Bogen users back me up please?
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers