Private Classifieds listings from 2004 - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #1096
Wrangler

Joe, buying the best tripod you can afford is a solid, long-term choice and you are right to prioritize that over a stabilizer.

As an FYI to readers of this thread who might look into that forum that Joe linked, some of my thoughts:

Post 2--While a Steadytracker can perform simple walking shots, it won't have the subtlety of a gimballed system (panning/tilting).

Post 4--Endless balancing--arguable, it's part of the deal.

One-handed operation for JR--only under certain circumstances. Best results are when operating with two hands.

Issues with extra weight: agreed, no camera over 4-5 lbs belongs on a handheld stabilizer.

Post 6--there is no comparison between shooting off a tripod and shooting off a stabilizer. One is for non-moving shots, the other is for moving shots. One is not a substitute for the other.

Post 8--learning great handheld technique is a wonderful art and everyone who shoots should practice it to a certain degree. However, even the best shooters in the world cannot deliver the same level of results that a stabilizer can when it comes to truly fluid movement, it's not how the human body works.

Post 9--I doubt that a gimballed stabilizer could be built for $20. I'm guessing they built something along the lines of a Steadytracker, aka a weighted stick. See Post 2 comments.

Regarding wearable rigs, taking an expensive workshop is a good choice if you want to become a great operator and can afford it. But for the lower end wearable rigs (under $5K, say) it's not likely to be a logical choice, and the solution is lots of practice.

Post 10--apparently lots of folks have a hard time with the balance. It isn't all that intuitive and can be frustrating, but it CAN and is possible and many users of these type of rigs have been working with them for years with fine results.

Post 11--True to an extent. It is certainly easier to work with the types of equipment mentioned hear. But if you are dead-set on getting Steadicam shots, you need to invest the time and patience. It's not a plug and play technology.

That's really the moral of the story: it don't come easy. You need to commit the time and be prepared for the learning curve and the physicality involved. It sounds like most of those posters wanted it to magically fly through the air by itself ten minutes after taking it out of the box, and it doesn't. However, it's all too easy to get frustrated and blame it on the equipment, which is not really the case. The Steadicam JR has been around for something like 13 years and there are many, many satisfied users. I myself bought one when it first came out and paid it off within a month on a couple of Hi-8 jobs, and the client loved the results. Now since I have a Steadicam background, it was easier for me to transfer my operating knowledge but I still had to learn the particulars of the system. But there is one shot that I did on an industrial back then that amazed me, because I felt the results were every bit as good as I could get on my big rig.

Good luck with your decisions, all!
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #1097
Regular Crew

Thank you so much for your time in answering these tough questions. I may in the future purchase one after all. It is always the case that with good practice, one can master.

Cheers
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #1098
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sale Pending

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1099
New Boot

Still for sale. Any offers?
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #1100
Major Player

XL1 Body only wanted!

Hey,
Anyone have a first generation XL1 (or beat XL1s) body only for sale? It can be ugly as long as it works...
Looking to spend around $1K and have tons (TONS) of macintosh and PC computer hardware, software, etc... for partial trade as well.
Thanks,
Josh
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #1101
Regular Crew

FS: Like new Sony PDX10 and some accessories

The camera is about 1 month, and less than 3 hours used, all meters show 0. List here for maybe 1 week for a quick sale and need save some transaction cost; if no one interested after a week, I will list it on eBay.
Please check product link to get more detail.

These 3 need go together (they are so perfect match), asking $1850.
Camera:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=302346&is=REG
Extra larger battery:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=275104&is=REG
Soft bag:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=169538&is=REG

Following accessories will consider seperate sale: (all less than 1 month):

B+W 37mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Glass Filter: ($60)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=180398&is=REG

Sony AC-SQ950D AC/DC Power Adapter / Super Quick Charger - for M Series Lithium-Ion Batteries ($80)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=243839&is=REG

Canon ZR-1000 Zoom Remote Control, for Camcorders with Control-L (Lanc) ($160)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=186651&is=REG

Get them all for $2100.

All are US item and carry valid warrant. I take money order and paypal(add 3%), all price does not include shipping and insurance. I have perfect rating on eBay. Please contact me at lovemov@sbcglobal.net if you're interested.
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #1102
Regular Crew

By the way, here are some vido capture I took from THIS camera,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=25961
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1103
Trustee

hey josh I don't suppose you want a PAL xl1 body by any chance?
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1104
Regular Crew

$1250???
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #1105
Major Player

i might be able to help you, xl-1 body

call me asap cell# 1-225-209-9640 or home 1-225-209-9640
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #1106
Major Player

OK this stuff is going on ebay now....
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1107
New Boot

Definitely does not work with DVX-100

Apparently this version of the Mini35 cannot work at all with the DVX-100. You'll need the latest Mini35 for that to happen.

e
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1108
New Boot

One correction, I have 10 Fuji tapes, not six.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:53 PM   #1109
Contributor

Wanted: used alum. PowerBook G4 in the Vancouver area

My sister will be travelling to the Vancouver BC area in the 15th of june. Through her, I would like to buy a pre-owned 15" PowerBook G4 (aluminum). She would be paying for it with a local Canadian currency check (from her dad) or cash if requiered. I would need a written statement form the owner specifying that it was sold used, to avoid problems with customs when my sister brings it home. Please contact me at info@canal.cl or post back to this thread if you prefer.

Any recommendations about stores that sell pre-owned macs in the area are also welcome. Thank You very much.
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:35 PM   #1110
Major Player

How much are you looking for , and are you interested in the 17 at all?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds