Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wauhkonen
3/4 CTO is actually a full correction. 1 will be a bit too orange but some people like the warm look.
Huh? I thought a 3/4 correction dropped a 5600K down to 3600K.

The full CTO I got drops it down to 3200K hence the name "FULL" as in full correction.

Keep in mind, my IDX X-3 was really blue, so I needed heavy correction to make it look decent, this may not be the case with all LED lamps.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Huh? I thought a 3/4 correction dropped a 5600K down to 3600K.

The full CTO I got drops it down to 3200K hence the name "FULL" as in full correction.

Keep in mind, my IDX X-3 was really blue, so I needed heavy correction to make it look decent, this may not be the case with all LED lamps.
Sorry, I've just checked. 3/4 CTO takes you down to 3200k from 5600k
Full CTO is an over correction with a 5600K light (correct with 6500K). Having said that, filters don't always do what they say in the specs, Full CTB doesn't aways give a correct daylight, sometimes it's a bit warmer.

I mostly just use the 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 CTO, so just shows you need to check your numbers at times.

BTW It's pretty common to fool the white balance on video cameras to give a slightly warmer look.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management